Is your Unit on Fire?

I've been watching the unit where I plan to go for my archery elk hunt and it's quickly being taken over by wildfire. So far, I may still be able to go where I had planned on but now looking at other areas for back up. This time of year, is hard to hear about and read of all the wildfires going on. Now it's the waiting game until I leave for my hunt.

Anyone else's plans being interrupted by this year's fire season?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
It's only going to get worse. I live in Western Washington and this is shaping up to be the driest and hottest summer in the 27 years I've lived here. 100+ temps all over eastern WA lately too. I didn't even bother trying to water any of my lawn this year. Give us some damned rain already.

So far where I’m at has gotten pretty lucky. Unfortunately only one lightning storm/idiot leaving a fire unattended away from disaster.

Also, the Watch Duty app is great for keeping an eye on fires.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
My unit burned then flooded several times. Gonna be interesting.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, my unit here in Oregon is on fire so I will have to scout some different areas and make it work. Of course it was human caused too which is really aggravating. Sucks to spend years to really get to know an area well and then some idiot with no common-sense ruins it.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I had a unit on fire bad earlier this year but it was put out and things are looking okay. The areas I planned to hunt were not affected.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
The early unit my wife has a tag in is on fire, we've scouted twice and are still seeing animals. It's been incredibly smoky both times as there are two large fires near by that are close to joining. Selfishly we've been hoping those larger fires will ultimately squeeze more animals into her unit. I've got an archery tag in Idaho, so far it's not burning but I've got 6 weeks until I'll be there so still plenty of time

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, units on fire and the forest is currently closed to access. Looking like I’m plan b at this point. It’s a bummer. Dreams of walking upright through the woods are being replaced by crawling through coastal jungle…😬.

Hopefully the teams remain safe and are able to get them under control. On the bright side it could provide good hunting opportunity in the years to come.

A new one just blew up in the middle of unit 32 in Idaho. My elk zone is rapidly going to hell. That’s prime winter ground too. 😞

I'm living in the Watch Duty app right now. Some fires right on the edge of my unit. It's only the beginning of August!