Is this overkill😂

For those who don’t know what the scope is, it is a nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50. Rifle is a 308, I feel the scope is overkill for the rifle at hand. However, I do have difficulty seeing a red dot the size of a quarter at 100 yards and beyond with the typical 3-9 and 3-10’s due to poor distance eyesight. Bought the scope for how compact it is, and obviously performs well at long range but what about close range in timber when it’s last light? Is it too much?

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpeg
    IMG_0543.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Guy

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Why would it be overkill? If it works for you, that's great!

Should prove to be a very high quality scope. I hope it serves you well.

Regards, Guy

OP
B
Why would it be overkill? If it works for you, that's great!

Should prove to be a very high quality scope. I hope it serves you well.

Regards, Guy
My concern is low light performance at close range especially on dark animals

Reactions: Guy

waspocrew

WKR
NX8 is a great scope, I have two of the 2.5-20x and one 4-32.

Not overkill at all.

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an optics snob but have never shot a nightforce. Shot this exact scope on a friends rifle today and was impressed at the optics and clarity. If you like the scope, set it at 6x in tight quarters and I bet you’ll be pleased.

I bet that suppressor will be more cumbersome in tight quarters than the scope. And the NF is heavy but that doesn’t appear to be a lightweight rifle

waspocrew

WKR
It has great glass, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all. Did you go first focal plane or second?

OP
B
I’m an optics snob but have never shot a nightforce. Shot this exact scope on a friends rifle today and was impressed at the optics and clarity. If you like the scope, set it at 6x in tight quarters and I bet you’ll be pleased.

I bet that suppressor will be more cumbersome in tight quarters than the scope. And the NF is heavy but that doesn’t appear to be a lightweight rifle
My only other option is a leupold vx3i 3-10x40

OP
B

9.5lbs

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Low light, not getting what you’re referring to, if it’s the ret being to thin it is, also the illumination is to bright on the lowest setting and it’ll blind you late. As to the glass capability it’s one of the brightest and sharpest scopes I own, especially being only a 50mm.

I’ve actually sold off a lot of high $ scopes due to the nx8’s, I’ve compared mine extensivey to tt, Schmidt, Zeiss v8’s, lrps5’s, v6’s, swaro z6’s, Leica magnus, Burris xtr3’s and Steiner Predator’s, along with most Leupold’s, and a few others. The glass in my samples are some of the best I’ve owned, that also includes my atacr’s.

Cons for me are is the illumination is to bright on low settings, their ret’s aren’t my favorite for hunting, and the eyebox isn’t forgiving. Still an incredible scope unless you get a bad sample.

A few recent pics of 2.5-20 and some others. Again it’s a great scope, mine is currently sitting on a blaser 308.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.png
    IMG_1733.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1732.png
    IMG_1732.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1731.png
    IMG_1731.png
    978.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
B
Low light, not getting what you’re referring to, if it’s the ret being to thin it is, also the illumination is to bright on the lowest setting and it’ll blind you late. As to the glass capability it’s one of the brightest and sharpest scopes I own, especially being only a 50mm.

I’ve actually sold off a lot of high $ scopes due to the nx8’s, I’ve compared mine extensivey to tt, Schmidt, Zeiss v8’s, lrps5’s, v6’s, swaro z6’s, Leica magnus, Burris xtr3’s and Steiner Predator’s, along with most Leupold’s, and a few others. The glass in my samples are some of the best I’ve owned, that also includes my atacr’s.

Cons for me are is the illumination is to bright on low settings, their ret’s aren’t my favorite for hunting, and the eyebox isn’t forgiving. Still an incredible scope unless you get a bad sample.

A few recent pics of 2.5-20 and some others. Again it’s a great scope, mine is currently sitting on a blaser 308.
To reply to your opening sentence, I’m referring to the scopes ability to perform at dusk/dawn. The leupold vx3hd/vx3i even though not being of the same quality has a slight edge in my opinion. Not saying the vx3 is a better scope than an nx8 because we obviously know that isn’t the case

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
In SFP you’ll have no issues. NF reticles are solid there; it’s their FFP reticles that aren’t great. The drawback is wind holds on such a high power SFP, but sounds like that won’t be an issue on your bear hunt!