Is this a deal or hold out for tikka

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been thinking about getting another tikka in 6.5 creedmoor after all the issues I’ve had with expensive/ custom rifles and was set to do it but then found a deal locally that peaked my interest. I know this is the rok and tikka is the only answer but does this sound like a good deal on a rifle kit. I think I can get bought for $650.

-Ruger American gen 1 stainless predator 6.5cm very clean with box
-box of 143 eldx
-80 sst 140gr
-200 cci primers
-rcbs die set
-180 piece of new hornady brass
-20 handloads with 140gr sst
-box of American hunter 129gr interlocks
- sling and cheap soft case

The Ruger Gen 1 stocks are utterly horrible, in almost every way - the biggest is that you'll have a big stretch of the handguard touching along the barrel. They're all that way. All those extras won't make up for the work you'd have to put into that stock just to make it acceptable. Speaking from experience with a 30-06 gen 1. You're only a couple hundred off from a Tikka, and would likely be much happier at the end of the day with one of those.

seems like you end up losing $650 and having to do a bunch of work reloading. but at least you'd get $20 worth of primers out of that deal.

sure if you add everything up it comes to $650 but you still end up with a possibly mediocre rifle and a bunch of components. my friend's ruger american in 30-06 shoots just fine for hunting...now that i sent it back to the factory to get chambering/extraction issues fixed. it's a utilitarian rifle and he shoots once a year before season. good enough for him. i'd rather just have a good rifle i can shoot a bunch. especially in 6.5cm.

do you really need a used rifle and components? or maybe just a new rifle that shoots a box of factory ammo well?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get the Tikka every time. Triggers are better, bolts are smoother, aftermarket support is better should you need it, and you're not getting an entry-level product.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
Aftermarket support is trash for the Americans. I like mine, but if I were to re-do my purchase, it would've been either a howa or a Tikka.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Three of my family members have ruger Americans and all of them have had problems with shells feeding out of their magazines. Don’t get a gun that you’re going to want to upgrade in a couple years

BKM

FNG
I got my first tikka this year and prefer it in every way to the other factory rifles I’ve owned (Winchester m70, Bergara HMR)

The best part of my 6.5cm tikka is that I have not found hand load or factory option that shot over 1 1/2” 10 round group

Also you won’t be left looking to upgrade a bunch of stuff later.

Hold out for the Tikka

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
What velocities are y’all seeing out of 20” tikkas? I have a suppressor and don’t want it to be a musket but I’m worried that 2500fps at 3500’ comes short of my yardage goal with this rifle.

What velocities are y’all seeing out of 20” tikkas? I have a suppressor and don’t want it to be a musket but I’m worried that 2500fps at 3500’ comes short of my yardage goal with this rifle.
i have a 20 in and a 24 in 6.5cm.
20 in is at 2565 fps with 140 eldm at somewhere around 40-50 rounds. it sped up a little bit recently from when i first bought it by about 30 fps
at 3500 DA that gets you 1806 fps at 675yds on strelock

24in is at 2670 last time i chronoed it for comparison so you lose about 25 fps lost per inch of barrel

another thing too if you want to save some money is buy the compact 20 in version and sell the compact stock. you can get somewhere between 125- 150 on here. they are much more desirable than the oem stock. its blued though (But i put the money right back into cerakoting it haha)

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
i have a 20 in and a 24 in 6.5cm.
20 in is at 2565 fps with 140 eldm at somewhere around 40-50 rounds. it sped up a little bit recently from when i first bought it by about 30 fps
at 3500 DA that gets you 1806 fps at 675yds on strelock

24in is at 2670 last time i chronoed it for comparison so you lose about 25 fps lost per inch of barrel

another thing too if you want to save some money is buy the compact 20 in version and sell the compact stock. you can get somewhere between 125- 150 on here. they are much more desirable than the oem stock. its blued though (But i put the money right back into cerakoting it haha)
Ok that’s a little better than I was getting out of AB I was getting around 550yds with the 20” and just shy of 600 with the 24”

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Semi apples to oranges but how does the tikka comparison look against an s20 6.5 prc? The EuroOptic sale is very tempting