Is the added weight of a slider sight worth it?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg on Friday and played with it over the weekend. I really liked having the ability to reach out as far as I wanted with a five pin sight using the slider, but when I weigh the Tommy next to my Armortech HD it is over 4 ounces heavier.

Considering that almost all of my hunting will be backpack hunting for elk or spot and stalk for pronghorn, do you think having the flexibility of a 5 pin slider is worth the significant added weight, or should I just go with a 7 pin fixed?

Last edited:

pronghorn

FNG
I hunt with a single pin slider to eliminate pin clutter, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably go with a three or five pin slider. The ability to dial in the exact distance really helps accuracy.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It helps a bunch on longer shots to be able to hold dead on. In-between distances are a real challenge for me at longer distances. I try to dial anything over 70.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at a Tek Hunter, but I really wasn't impressed with the pin brightness. I also looked at the Montana Black Gold slider, but it appears that the sliding parts are plastic, and considering that those parts hold the head on I couldn't get comfortable with it.

I think I may just keep the Tommy and if I can't get over the weight I will just order a Hunter body from Spot Hogg to mount the head on.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
rye you have a great sight. I wouldn't worry about the extra 4 ounces. If it really bothers you, cut weight with something else. If you hit an animal and need a follow up shot at a long distance, a slider sight is the best for getting the job done. I use the Tommy Hogg 5 pin slider and practice out to 120 yards. If nothing else it is great practice shooting that far as any flaws in your technique show up.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at a Tek Hunter, but I really wasn't impressed with the pin brightness. I also looked at the Montana Black Gold slider, but it appears that the sliding parts are plastic, and considering that those parts hold the head on I couldn't get comfortable with it.

I think I may just keep the Tommy and if I can't get over the weight I will just order a Hunter body from Spot Hogg to mount the head on.

You can order one with extra fiber length.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
rye you have a great sight. I wouldn't worry about the extra 4 ounces. If it really bothers you, cut weight with something else. If you hit an animal and need a follow up shot at a long distance, a slider sight is the best for getting the job done. I use the Tommy Hogg 5 pin slider and practice out to 120 yards. If nothing else it is great practice shooting that far as any flaws in your technique show up.

Thanks, I am going to stick with the Tommy and sent it in today to have the pins customized.

+++++++ s for the CBEs!!!!! And I have NEVER personally had issues with the brightness of their pins. I have even been climbing out of my tree stand in KS after legal light and looked down and could still see my pins. Now I run a green .029, green .019, red .019, green .019, green .019 custom pin set up. Maybe thats just me.

Spot Hogg makes GREAT sights....but I like the way the CBE slides and the lighter weight on my carbon bows.

J-Daddy

WKR
Most sliders are not THAT heavy...The Spot Hogg's are tanks, they are great sights but they are extremely heavy compared to others like the Black Gold Ascent and the CBE Tek series.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Spot Hoggs are probably a little heavier but i bet they will be more durable than any other sight made.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I wound up staying with the Tommy Hogg primarily because of the durability. From the pins to the slider mechanism I don't thing there is a stronger sight made. To me the durability is worth added weight, especially for multi-day back country hunting.