Is Road Hunting Birds Common?

SloppyJ

WKR
I went to SD last year for the first time. It seemed like a really big thing to do up there. I was blown away. It felt like something I shouldn't be doing but yes, it was a lot of fun and completely legal.

WCB

WKR
ND and SD it is standard practice for any game. Upland, Waterfowl, Deer....

KurtR

WKR
We turned a 4 wheel drive astro van in high school in to a road hunting machine. Turned the seats facing the sliding door and would look like eazy e rolling up doing a drive by bailing out shooting pheasants. I have heard stories about back in the day deer hunting and out the window was a main stay

We turned a 4 wheel drive astro van in high school in to a road hunting machine. Turned the seats facing the sliding door and would look like eazy e rolling up doing a drive by bailing out shooting pheasants. I have heard stories about back in the day deer hunting and out the window was a main stay
LOL, we had a Volkswagon Vanagon that was similarly appointed!

I hunt a lot of the smaller walk in spots in Colorado. If I see hunters working a field towards a road, I'll often stop before crossing their shooting lane so they can still shoot a bird if it jumps towards the road. I do it to be courteous, but also because I just love watching birds get up and sometimes get shot.

When I was younger and only had one dog I would typically burn him up in the morning hunting as you'd expect and then maybe a short run after lunch, and then evening was spent road hunting like this. I think it's what dudes do when they are tired and a little frustrated and lazy. Been there plenty of times.

Axlrod

WKR
In Montana if you shoot from the road right-of-way (usually between fences) it is mandatory 2 years loss of license, loss of all bonus points, 5 years loss of eligibility to put in for special draws.
I am sure it happens all the time for more than birds.

OP
W

wjv

FNG
Thanks all for the good discussion. Hunting the same field another guy is working might be a topic for a different discussion and may be based on local tradition/etiquette. I've done a fair amount of bird hunting, but all in one or two regions with the same 4-5 guys who don't do it, so this was just a new experience I thought I'd ask about.

In any case, good to know that it can be a somewhat viable way to cover some country, as long as permitted. I don't think I'll make a habit of the practice, but will keep it in mind if I'm someplace new without my dog and want to see some new ground.

TaperPin

WKR
Not bird related, but I remembered a funny story - In high school I dated a gal and on the wall above the fireplace was a big elk - scored 378 if I remember right. I had to ask about the story - imagining some epic hunting adventure. Turns out the shooter had two or three other guys in his keep wagoner, there was another truck full of hunters behind them. They are all chained up road hunting the snow covered two track roads when a group of elk decide to cross a big open face right in front of them - everyone bailed out and started shooting. The bull had something like 7 holes in him and one through an antler. Nobody knows which holes were whos. Lol

The UP of Michigan is notorious for road hunting...probaby more grouse shot from road hunters than hunters on foot over the years. It's not nearly as gratifying as pursuing them with dogs, but it's definitely effective for some.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Legal in some states as above, especially SD is known for it. There is a reason pheasants are sometimes referred to as “ditch chickens”.
Always wondered why they were called ditch chickens, here in PA you aren’t allowed to shoot from the road for anything and all our pheasant are now stocked only on state game lands.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In northwest Wi. while driving the gravel roads to get to what we came to know as, known grouse hangouts, we would often see them out on the gravel roads getting gravel. Most of the time they would just stand there or move into the cover below the berms just off the roads. We took a good number of them that way.

Roan444

FNG
When I was younger and only had one dog I would typically burn him up in the morning hunting as you'd expect and then maybe a short run after lunch, and then evening was spent road hunting like this. I think it's what dudes do when they are tired and a little frustrated and lazy. Been there plenty of times.
Exactly what I was going to post.

We hunt SD Walk-in, CRP, Waterfowl Production and it can be tough hunting at times. Dogs get wore out and put up. Then it's exploring section lines and barrow pits. Effective way to end a long day and feel redeemed.