Is my scope too close to my rail?

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All, first time bedding a rail and wanted to get your opinion: is my scope too close to my rail? The gap between is very small (to get proper eye relief). The gap is about 2mm.

If it’s an issue. Can i just take this rail off with a heat gun and throw a shorter one on there?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 7565DFA2-C6CF-4BF9-9187-E9F9BE7C2F97.jpeg
    7565DFA2-C6CF-4BF9-9187-E9F9BE7C2F97.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 862B64F6-FF79-482D-A0C7-C5E5F3A02AA7.jpeg
    862B64F6-FF79-482D-A0C7-C5E5F3A02AA7.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
2 mins with a hacksaw and you're in business. (Remove rail from gun) Use a fresh blade and a vise and take your time. I did one this week.

Thanks! I've heard some folks say to use a heat gun to take the rail off (I used JB weld epoxy). Is that right? Don't have a vise or a hacksaw laying around. Perhaps I can find these items at home depot.

You’re probably fine but if you have a dremel and a wheel I’d whack off a few rails. “Birchwood casey” has a bluing pen that would probably hide any open metal after the cuts.

Just googled that. That's a cool tool. Perhaps I can rent such a tool at a place like home depot.

I bought a dremel tool from Harbor Freight for around $12. If you are very careful and tape it up correctly, you could probably leave the rail attached while you dremel a little off with a disc. Definitely remove the scope :)

Just googled that. That's a cool tool. Perhaps I can rent such a tool at a place like home depot.
Nope. Buy any cheap option like a dremel for $20 or so. My Black and Decker cheapo has worked for years on a bunch of projects. I use mine constantly and swap out the same dremel parts from openening barrel channels to grinding bottom metals for aftermarket triggers.

You can do it on the gun. Without scope of course. Even a flat file will easily remove enough material to be safe.

Did you not use release agent on the action? I paid my local Smith $30 to shorten the rail on my kelblys and cerakote it. If someone is local to you I would go that route.

If there is clearance, that is good enough. If there is a question, check w/ a piece of target stock paper, or a couple tablet sheets. If they go through freely, you are good to go.

If there is clearance, that is good enough. If there is a question, check w/ a piece of target stock paper, or a couple tablet sheets. If they go through freely, you are good to go.

Thanks for writing in. Yes, sorry for photos. It 100% does have clearance, (just very small, ~2mm).

Did you not use release agent on the action? I paid my local Smith $30 to shorten the rail on my kelblys and cerakote it. If someone is local to you I would go that route.

No, no release agent on rail. I just put RA on the screws. That would be nice to just drop it off assuming it would be a cheap fix. I'll think about that. Thanks!

Back