Is applying in New Mexico worthless?

rhendrix

WKR
I've applied 4 years in a row now to NM in units 15, 16, and 52 and have yet to draw a tag. Am I just wasting my money, or should I continue to apply every year?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I apply in most of the western states. I gave up on NM a few years ago when they increased the $$$$ and reduced the "unguided" allotment.

I will continue to put in and know it's just as tough to draw an archery tag in NM as AZ anymore...not good!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odds are tough everywhere I like the fact I'm on equal footing with everyone else. Such a downer not to draw though

rbljack

WKR
I must have gotten very lucky. I put myself, my wife, and my son in for deer tags, and I put myself in for Elk. I didn't draw the elk tag, but we each drew a tag for Deer Rifle hunts.

this was our first year putting in for Non res tags in the NM draw system....so I guess it must be beginners luck. Timing couldn't be any better. I got told last week, that the place where I hunt deer in texas is being sold, so I have to get my stuff off the land in the next few weeks. I had no other place to hunt, so I guess we will be hunting NM for deer anyways..so that's a plus.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Yeah the unguided allotment is dismal. I want to keep applying because I know that if j draw a tag, I'll likely see quite a few nice elk. I just hate giving the NMDFG my money for a hope and a prayer.

hunting1

WKR
Even as a resident drawing 15 and 16 is hard, so try other units and you will draw. No one except the guides like the 10% welfare for guides. This state is so screwed up, but is finally but slowly moving in the right direction.

To answer your question, if you love elk hunting, yes it is worth it! NM is the only state whee points are not needed to draw.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Hunting1, what other units besides 52 could I apply in and have a decent shot at drawing?

I put in for Ibex, Big Horn and Auodad and drew an Auodad tag. First year applying. I know most want an Elk or Deer tag........I try to go for the others. As long as I am hunting something in the mountains, I don't care!!!

hunting1

WKR
51, 52, 45, 9, and a few others. 52 is my personal favorite. May not have as many huge bulls, but nice country and a chance to hunt elk.

As said above, there are other opportunities here besides elk. Barbary are a blast and will school you!

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
Steep odds in NM like a lot of the western states that now provide welfare to guides. That beings said I still apply for elk and antelope as the quality of hunts for those species is good....deer not so much.

I have a buddy that just drew back to back 16 tags... I think he is a little on the lucky side this year though!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up on NM a few years ago when they increased the $$$$ and reduced the "unguided" allotment.

Me, too. In fact, when they were debating that change in the NM house, I watched live on the web. The attitude of the members in support of the change was practically, "the out-of-staters will pay crazy amounts for these tags, so why not stick it to 'em to keep the res tags cheap. After all, the res hunters vote for us, but the non-res hunters don't".

Right then and there, I decided to vote with my wallet and have not spent one dime hunting in NM. CO is much more appreciative of my hunting dollars...

Regards,
SAB

51, 52, 45, 9, and a few others. 52 is my personal favorite. May not have as many huge bulls, but nice country and a chance to hunt elk.

As said above, there are other opportunities here besides elk. Barbary are a blast and will school you!

I have put in every year for 52 since the draw allotment changed and have yet to draw. Also, have done 1st season each time as well - still no luck for me.

jfive613

FNG
It's hard for the average non resident in New Mexico right now. Landowners and outfitters run our game commission and little the average hunter in the state voices, is actually taken in to account. There was a big push in committee at the state legislature earlier this year to increase the allocation of tags to landowners by 100%. Luckily that got tabled. But still the landowner allocations are huge, and most of those that are bull tags go out of state, and as long as that's the case, I don't see non resident's odds improving. I can tell you, however, that the average New Mexican would like to keep the resident percentage the same, but turn all the outfitter tags into non resident tags. They already have access to plenty of tags for their clients.

I still don't see why you'd quit applying to hunt New Mexico, especially elk and sheep. We have great elk hunting, big numbers with mature animals due to the fact that the number of tags is so limited. You will never have to worry about point creep screwing you like in so many other western states. Plus the cost is really low for a lottery ticket, since you get refunded most of your money within two months of applying. I don't buy points in most places anymore, because I realized I started too late in life. And I'm only 30.

To those that keep applying, best of luck, and I hope to see you out here some day. If you want to do some cheap elk hunting out here, don't forget that youth cow encouragement tags are easy to get in late summer and are a fun hunt. Take your kid and see some great new country, while also filling the freezer.

Last edited:
OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
After much deliberation I'm gonna keep making my annual donation, there's just to good of hunting in NM not to apply.