Is a hot tent needed for second season rifle Colorado?

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So I will be hunting vail area in second season rifle and from my other posts it seems like you can’t really predict the weather here. But from those of you who hunt second season in Colorado, would you say I need a hot tent? My current set up is a zero degree sleeping bag, insulated sleeping pad and a 3 season north face tent. Can I manage without a hot tent? My buddy said he’d buy one for the trip but I’m starting to thing he won’t unless I were to buy the stove. I’m trying to prevent having to buy a stove because of how expensive the my are and the fact I’m already about 2k down in preparation (buying glass, ice chests, pack, clothes and other essential gear). If you do think it’s a necessity do you have any recommendations on good entry level stove and tent that won’t break the bank or the back having to hike in a few miles in steep country.

Loo.wii

WKR
if i remember correctly you can rent one. i forget the name of the service off the top of my head. the temps during 2nd rifle can be in the teens to the negatives in the high country so proceed at your own risk. I sleep in my roof top tent and i have a diesel heater to keep it warm. I just wake up early and hike in if its too cold to sleep out.

I’ve hunted CO second season with a foot of snow and lows in the single digits with a backpacking tent. As long as your pad and bag are good, you’ll be cold but should be good. Getting frozen boots on your feet in the morning is miserable, but get moving and you warm up quick.

Keep a stove with instant coffee in the vestibule and make it before you get out of your bag.

I've camped in a 0 degree bag with consistent nights into single digits and briefly into the negatives, wife survived too. We used the Buddy heater for 10 minutes before getting into our bags, and 10 minutes before getting out of our bags each day. You don't really need a hot tent, it's more of a luxury. Extra boots helps so you're not booting on frozen boots. Wife did stuff her 0 degree down bag into her 0 degree big bag and crawled in like a caterpillar lol.

HNTR918

WKR
You could get lucky with warm weather and be okay. However, if its cold or rainy or wet snow you will want a way to defrost, warm and dry out boots and other gear. I've done it with a regular tent and the next year bought a seek outside redcliff dyneema with an sxl stove. Now my entire hunting group fights over who is staying in the teepee with me while the rest have to used their regular tents. After two years, now one is getting a seek outside lite cimarron made in usa and the other is going with the Argali teepee made in china. Both are getting titanium stoves. If you are comfortable and warm and dry every morning and night you will hunt hard, if not you will find a reason to go back to your truck and road hunt like everyone else.

Loo.wii

WKR
So I will be hunting vail area in second season rifle and from my other posts it seems like you can’t really predict the weather here. But from those of you who hunt second season in Colorado, would you say I need a hot tent? My current set up is a zero degree sleeping bag, insulated sleeping pad and a 3 season north face tent. Can I manage without a hot tent? My buddy said he’d buy one for the trip but I’m starting to thing he won’t unless I were to buy the stove. I’m trying to prevent having to buy a stove because of how expensive the my are and the fact I’m already about 2k down in preparation (buying glass, ice chests, pack, clothes and other essential gear). If you do think it’s a necessity do you have any recommendations on good entry level stove and tent that won’t break the bank or the back having to hike in a few miles in steep country.
i recommend taking an empty Gatorade bottle. fill it with your nighly relief to keep you a little warmer. you could also boil water before you sleep and throw that in your bag aswell.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
nope, not needed as long as you have a good bag and pad.

the pad is more important than many realize.
Yeah I’m getting a klymit insulated bag then putting that on top of a fold of thermarest pad

Scorpion

WKR
It is not needed but it will be a lot more comfortable than a regular tent. The last time that I hunted 2nd Rifle our low temps were -10 F. Had quite a bit of snow, too. We were glad to have the Sawtooth with a stove.

Sounds like you’ve spent a lot of money for this trip already. I’d just roll with what you have. If the weather gets too bad and you throw in the towel, you can go get a nice dinner in Vail.

saskhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need one, but it's sure nice to have one.

Even if the lows are still relatively high, you'll be happy to be able to dry your boots/gear if it rains.

Just got back from a 10 day hunt, I think it only got down below freezing a couple times, but it rained and snowed the whole trip. Wet all day every day. Crawling back into a hot tent with a roaring stove made everything so much better.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 4 man tipi and stove, so yes, I'd be taking mine. Not a necessity but it can be real nice when it snows or to dry things out. For you, at least have a back up plan to get dry/warm with a hotel, etc, if needed. Being cold and wet sucks, but lack of sleep will have an impact on your mood and hunting experience for sure, so just we aware of that.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations on stoves? Was thinking about a seek outdoor stove since they are so light. My buddy is thinking of just getting a hot tent off Amazon. Next year I’ll likely be getting a better tent to company the stove but I will cut down on the costs as much as I can

SonnyDay

WKR
As many have said. Not necessary, but pretty nice! I spent the first five years hunting various rifle seasons from a mountaineering tent. But then I got old… and went for a Seek Outside 6-man tipi and XL stove. Love it. And it barely weighs more than the tent we used before (including the stove).