Iron will chipping

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Working on broadhead tuning and noticed some chips on my edge. Has only been shot into a 365 target. Have any of you experienced similar? Honestly I expected better edge retention and the pic is after dragging through the IW sharpener a few times.
Any idea what the hardness of these are supposed to be? I may test it.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 48
I’ve had and shot a lot of them, in my experience they roll more than chip. I have had a few chip after going through animals and hitting a rock or something. Any chance you’ve had an insert/head pull out of an arrow previously and they are stuck in the target? That might do it.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely no inserts or heads stuck in that target, it's a pretty new core. Roll, chip, regardless I didn't expect it in foam. Bone or rocks I could see although I don't love that. I just saw that they're supposed to be 60 HRC, I will test it this afternoon and report back.

feanor

WKR
There’s no way foam should be doing that. That looks like it hit something hard to me.

There’s no way foam should be doing that. That looks like it hit something hard to me.

Not necessarily

The foam is of such a density that it will stop (in my case) a 540g arrow at speeds between 290 and 240. So there is an high amount of friction between the foam and arrow. Friction creates heat. Heat added to a thin metal edge will change the heat treat of that edge. If I can recall A2 tool steel get a lot harder when heated and then it cools. As it gets harder it becomes more brittle hence it starts to chip when it impacts the target. Re-sharpening that broadhead would fix that chipping

Unleashed

FNG
You can send that back to Ironwill since they have a lifetime warranty. There's no way foam did that. You either hit something hard or found a completely one-off broadhead that had a weak spot. I have one Ironwill that I've shot into foam at least 50 times and can still slice paper with it.

Unleashed

FNG
One other thing that occurred to me.....could you have received fake Ironwill broadheads? They are selling them on ebay and other sites like that. Just a thought.

D S 319

WKR
Same thing has happened with mine. Talk to ironwill but should be able to get em out pretty easily.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that’s a designated practice head and only shot in foam/block targets and it’s chipped all over and happened fairly quick.