Iron will broadheads and knife help

Jon_G

WKR
First off, what lube or paste do you guys use to keep your blades corrosion resistant? I have 3 new iron will broadheads that I bought last year and haven't been hunted with. The one that has been used was shot into foam 3 times. That blade has 2 tiny rust spots on top. I am certain it's just surface rust. What is the best way to remove that rust?

Also, has anyone used whetstones to sharpen these? I am pretty good at using a whetstone and I have some venev stones and I am wondering if it would be ok to use those stones.

Not into archery, but one of the best corrosion inhibitors I've ever used on guns has been spray on furniture wax. BoeLube from Boeing is pretty good for industrial applications, but I wouldn't necessarily want it touching something I might eat.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Not into archery, but one of the best corrosion inhibitors I've ever used on guns has been spray on furniture wax. BoeLube from Boeing is pretty good for industrial applications, but I wouldn't necessarily want it touching something I might eat.
Yes, I was looking into some options that are good for corrosion resistance but aren't safe to eat with. This past weekend I used my edc a ton for all kinds of fruits that I took down to the river and I was too far away from camp to go back to get a proper kitchen knife lol. So I guess a food grade lubricant will be my best option.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Perfect man thank you. I am going to get some and use that. I managed to get a tiny bit of the rust off and it is surface rust so I'm going to use fine sanding paper. It doesn't affect the broadhead but it is bugging me 😂

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Order up some 0000 steel wool, that will remove all imperfections and surface rust from the metal, then follow up with the silicone spray. Problems over.
Oh I actually have some of that wool! Will get to it right now. Thanks!

Twitch

WKR
Get a "Stay Sharp" guide, and just use polishing compound on thin cardboard, like from a cereal box. I sharpen mine this way every year. I put a lite coat of mineral oil on mine while storing them.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Get a "Stay Sharp" guide, and just use polishing compound on thin cardboard, like from a cereal box. I sharpen mine this way every year. I put a lite coat of mineral oil on mine while storing them.
I just discovered the kme guide yesterday lol. They look nice but really expensive. I honestly think I will try to sharpen these by hand once. I've gotten pretty decent at hand sharpening knives. I know broadheads are different but I'm gonna try it. I don't really plan on buying iron wills in the future. I'm just gonna get some QAD exodus heads once I can no longer use these.