Iron will broadhead through my leg

11boo

WKR
agood, took some testicular fortitude to post this. Thank you for reminding us how bad these things can be. I can only imagine if you were 4 miles from anything how bad it could have been.

I shoot BH out back too, and they always stick out the backside. I could see being distracted by an errant shot.

manitou1

WKR
😂 you win some, you loose some.. it’s all healed but as I move my ankle side to side you can see the two spots they put the tendons back together move up and down in unison. New party trick I guess
Glad you healed okay. Looks horrid.

Man, glad you recovered. This is just another reminder how quickly our sport can turn life threatening. I had an accident last year as well and I carry quick clot with me ever since, but also have emergency first aid training and your wound is making me add a tourniquet for sure!

OP
A

agood2255

FNG
agood, took some testicular fortitude to post this. Thank you for reminding us how bad these things can be. I can only imagine if you were 4 miles from anything how bad it could have been.

I shoot BH out back too, and they always stick out the backside. I could see being distracted by an errant shot.
Rather share to heighten people’s preparedness than hide in shame. Dumb mistake by me, but 100% could see someone making a mistake with a broadhead in the field and being in trouble.

You can see the cutthroat sticking out like an inch, that’s the most anything was going through before. Now I know to look!

imw001

FNG
YIKES 😬 glad you’re on the mend. Lucky to have your wife and first aid supplies nearby.

I probably won’t mention this to my wife - I don’t know if she’d ever come with me to the range again. Or, maybe she’d never let me go alone again…either way!

That’s nasty looking! Glad it wasn’t any higher like in your thigh. Doing what I do for living I’ve been pretty fortunate. I’m always highly aware of knives and broadheads. My worst injury wasn’t even while processing meat but in my taxidermy shop using a table saw…. I’ll just say that I’m missing the tip of a middle finger.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked that up and that would be interesting talking to him about it! Honestly it was just not what I expected for a trauma injury pain level, but the level of disorientation with blood loss was freaky. Everything is fully functional but when I went to Ohio in November it was in the back of my head the whole time, and seriously messed with my hunt.

Seriously, you handled it like a champ. Glad you’re ok.

I teach advanced wilderness life support and wilderness first responder courses. Things like this have had me considering offering wilderness first aid just before hunting season for the last couple of years. Not just how to treat the injury, but the “I didn’t know the effects of blood loss”, etc., because they can absolutely be insidious.

None of my hunting partners go out without a trauma kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me start off saying, No Bill I don't need any swag.
Ok, solo hunt at 10,000' . I was filming a spotted fawn from tree stand to show wife later. Had bow with nocked arrow sitting across the safety cross bar. I raised up a bit to put phone back in front pocket and knocked the bow forward so I quickly reached out and grabbed it. Iron Will ended up just below my knee. I felt the cool flow of air on a wet foot. I knew something happened, pulled up pant leg and foot/ankle area of sock already turning red. Climbed down, and had gauze and tape and super glue. Not believing that would stay tight for the hike out, I Took half my boot lace off and tied up knee area. Hiked a mile or so to the ranger, then drove 15 miles back to base camp and 30 miles down to town for stitches.

Iron Wills are so sharp you don't feel it cut the skin, only the coolness of red fluid finding oxygen . I immediately added a torniquet to my kit. I even practiced using it. You would be surprised how your brain goes into instant survival mode, but doesn't always make the best choices automatically or handle reading instructions while in crisis mode.
Glad OP was fine, his pics were a lot worst than my ordeal.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Brutal cut wow.

The talk about good first aid kits in this thread, does anyone have a link to med kit discussions on this forum? I gotta build one after reading this thread.

Brutal cut wow.

The talk about good first aid kits in this thread, does anyone have a link to med kit discussions on this forum? I gotta build one after reading this thread.
Not sure what has been posted on the forum.

A good place to start is some form of hemostatic gauze and a tourniquet that you know how to use. A large bandage or some curlex isn’t a bad idea too. They need to be fairly accessible and ready to deploy. If you have a bleed, you don’t want to be digging in a pack to find them with one hand and on the verge of shock and or passing out from blood loss.

I run a bleeder kit - CAT TQ (on pack belt), 2x quikclot and an iz bandage (outside pocket). I sometimes add other items to the bleeder kit - extra TQ, NPA, decompression needle, chest seal, etc. as well. I have a separate boo-boo kit for cuts and scrapes with some meds.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
best place to find quality TQ without running risk of these knockoffs?

Be very careful with Amazon.

I’d suggest NAR here https://www.narescue.com/combat-application-tourniquet-c-a-t.html

Or I like the RATS tq. https://www.rapidtq.com/

Or there’s the SOF-t. https://tacmedsolutions.com/products/sof-tourniquet

I have no financial interest in these vendors, but have bought from each of them over the last 22 years of treating penetrating trauma.

One of the things I teach when I teach WFR is how to set up an IFAK and how to actually apply a TQ properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk