Iron Will Arrows

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You also can’t fletch an arrow as precise as a machine designed to do so can. That’s what’s different.
Ya, I'm not so sure that that kind of "precision" makes that much difference. I shot a 3D shoot one time where one of the guys shot one of my vanes off my arrow on the first target. I put it in the back of my quiver for several targets, but then got the wild idea of shooting the rest of the round with the 2-vane arrow. I shot the last 20+ targets with that arrow and was "up" on those combined targets when I was done.

Obviously I wouldn't do that with a BH on the end, but still don't think some tiny imperfections in vane alignment is going to make that much of a difference. It's just a matter of whether you want to do the work, or pay someone else to do it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
You cant cut and square an arrow as precise as a machine designed to do it can. You also can’t fletch an arrow as precise as a machine designed to do so can. That’s what’s different. I see what your point is though
I have an arrow cut off saw that’s pretty precise and a separate machine that squares them. No a lathe, but close.
The only real variable with my fletching is the amount of glue on each vane. I lost my glue applicator when I closed my shop. Just never replaced it.
Used to do 250+ dozen arrows a year. Drop to 30 dozen or so now. Must be doing something right.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ya, I'm not so sure that that kind of "precision" makes that much difference. I shot a 3D shoot one time where one of the guys shot one of my vanes off my arrow on the first target. I put it in the back of my quiver for several targets, but then got the wild idea of shooting the rest of the round with the 2-vane arrow. I shot the last 20+ targets with that arrow and was "up" on those combined targets when I was done.

Obviously I wouldn't do that with a BH on the end, but still don't think some tiny imperfections in vane alignment is going to make that much of a difference. It's just a matter of whether you want to do the work, or pay someone else to do it.
Ding ding ding

Cut an arrow from the least straight end, square both sides, fletch, sink an insert and go shoot. 99.99% of shooters won’t see a difference once you figure in shooter ability, environment, etc.

OP
D
You cant cut and square an arrow as precise as a machine designed to do it can. You also can’t fletch an arrow as precise as a machine designed to do so can. That’s what’s different. I see what your point is though

I think @Elkhntr08 is also forgetting that 40 year ago the equipment was not as predictable as it is nowadays. XX75 gamegetters got better when they had the replaceable nocks but still bent easily and you were never sure if it was you that couldn't shoot or it was a bent arrow that you wouldn't know was bent unless you had a spin tester
OR Did your pin set move when you set your bow down
Yes it was just short of a miracle when we killed deer back in the 90's and 80's and we did it, but do we want to go back to that sort of unpredictability??

Elkhntr08

WKR
I think it’s funny that unpredictable was brought up.
I just did a dozen 5mm Axis 300 for myself. Cut both ends, squared both ends. Wrapped and fletched on Bitzenbergers. Installed standard HIT inserts and VPA footers. Three blazers and Easton nocks.
Ten out of twelve flew perfect, two wouldn’t hit the dot at twenty for anything.
Replaced the nocks and one is hitting dead on. The last one corkscrews so bad at thirty that I’m shocked it hits the target! Tried it with all three vanes up and no change.
Brought it back in, pulled the nock and point and will try refletching it. Spins true so have no idea what’s wrong with it.
My point, sometimes crap occurs.

It’s raining now, so I’m going in a load for my 300 Weatherby.

OP
D
@elkhnt
I think it’s funny that unpredictable was brought up.

I'm not saying upredictability isn't a part of archery, I'm just saying that its easier to pin down the source. Generally speaking, you don't have a dozen perfectly flying arrows and then outta nowhere 1 or 2 of them start flying funny without an obvious symptom right? Aluminum arrows just start slowly shooting funny until one day you realize that arrow did not go where you aimed it and everthing about shot execution was perfect.

I actually find it more funny that despite arrow technology, my arrows all weight about the same regarless if they are all aluminum or carbon only. gotta love 31" 2317 arrows. I thought it was living when I upped my bow to a 75# setup and I was hitting 235 fps