Irish setter boots

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone run the Irish setter elk tracker boots in Colorado? I used them in Texas once and was freezing my toes off. Maybe that just because my socks weren’t the best wool/ I sweated too much in them and then they got cold wet. I’m trying to save money where I can for my first elk season

summs

Lil-Rokslider
That's a big/heavy boot. Lots of better boot choices that cost the same or less. Mountain hunting harder sole, make sure they fit properly with socks you will be wearing to hunt. My winter boots are a size larger to accommodate larger socks. No blood flow or air space = no warm toes. Insultation doesn't work well when compressed.

My current boot of choice for warm weather and hills is the salomon x ultra 4's. But buy sooner rather than later, if you're hunting in September, you want a month to break them in.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
That's a big/heavy boot. Lots of better boot choices that cost the same or less. Mountain hunting harder sole, make sure they fit properly with socks you will be wearing to hunt. My winter boots are a size larger to accommodate larger socks. No blood flow or air space = no warm toes. Insultation doesn't work well when compressed.

My current boot of choice for warm weather and hills is the salomon x ultra 4's. But buy sooner rather than later, if you're hunting in September, you want a month to break them in.
Yeah it is a big boot but i unfortunately I am trying to save corners since I already own the pair. I’ll likely upgrade if the need arises for next season but since this is my first season I don’t feel it’s wise to upgrade all at once. I am hunting second season in Colorado so it’ll be decently cold I bet

intunegp

WKR
There are a few flavors of the Elk Tracker with different insulation that have other subtle differences as well.

I have them (uninsulated) and can't remember the last time I wore them. As stated above, they're big and bulky and heavy. The sole also does a terrible job of shedding mud and each boot will easily carry an extra couple pounds of crap on the sole if it's mucky/muddy out which makes any hiking miserable. They are fairly comfy generally speaking. The uninsulated version has a lace lock that falls right on the ankle bone and can cause some uncomfortable rubbing, though I've never gotten a blister or anything.

If your feet sweat enough to get your socks wet, you're going to have cold feet no matter what. The biggest thing I have done to improve my comfort is to dress for the hike, not the sit. If you dress like you're going to sit still in 15° weather then hike a mile to get to a spot, you're going to be miserable. I dress in such a way that I start to catch a chill standing still, then layer up appropriately when I get to a glassing spot.

Whether insulated or not, the boots you have can probably work if the rest of your clothing is dialed in for your situation. Second season Colorado can be below freezing with lots of snow, or t shirt weather, or both on the same hunt depending on your location and elevation.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few flavors of the Elk Tracker with different insulation that have other subtle differences as well.

I have them (uninsulated) and can't remember the last time I wore them. As stated above, they're big and bulky and heavy. The sole also does a terrible job of shedding mud and each boot will easily carry an extra couple pounds of crap on the sole if it's mucky/muddy out which makes any hiking miserable. They are fairly comfy generally speaking. The uninsulated version has a lace lock that falls right on the ankle bone and can cause some uncomfortable rubbing, though I've never gotten a blister or anything.

If your feet sweat enough to get your socks wet, you're going to have cold feet no matter what. The biggest thing I have done to improve my comfort is to dress for the hike, not the sit. If you dress like you're going to sit still in 15° weather then hike a mile to get to a spot, you're going to be miserable. I dress in such a way that I start to catch a chill standing still, then layer up appropriately when I get to a glassing spot.

Whether insulated or not, the boots you have can probably work if the rest of your clothing is dialed in for your situation. Second season Colorado can be below freezing with lots of snow, or t shirt weather, or both on the same hunt depending on your location and elevation.
Any recommendations on other boots if I am able to get a pair before the season starts?

summs

Lil-Rokslider
If you own them and it gets you out there. Then use them.

Better gear doesn't make you a better hunter, it just makes it more tolerable. I know guys who started in army greens and a rucksacks. There is always a better option or piece of gear. But don't let that be the thing holding you back.

Marble

WKR
Yeah it is a big boot but i unfortunately I am trying to save corners since I already own the pair. I’ll likely upgrade if the need arises for next season but since this is my first season I don’t feel it’s wise to upgrade all at once. I am hunting second season in Colorado so it’ll be decently cold I bet
When it comes to singing that may ruin your hunt, don't cut corners.

If you get good boots, they will last for years. This is my 4th session with my crispy boots.. they have been cheaper in the long run because they have lasted. Not to mention comfortable and warm.

With properly fit boots, good wool socks and not too tight and your feet should be fine.

I stopped using Irish setter boots after my feet were bruised from a pack out. Haven't had those issues since I switched.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
If you own them and it gets you out there. Then use them.

Better gear doesn't make you a better hunter, it just makes it more tolerable. I know guys who started in army greens and a rucksacks. There is always a better option or piece of gear. But don't let that be the thing holding you back.
This is some good advise. I think it’s sometimes hard to look past everyone telling you to get this or that or that you “need” to get this gear as it will be a game changer. I thank you for your honesty. All these forums have me rethinking all the gear I already have haha.

Wore the the uninsulated ones in Idaho hunting in the snow at about ten degrees. Were fine with good heavy wool blend socks.

SIR_34:16

Lil-Rokslider
Wore a pair of non insulated elk trackers on my first archery elk hunt. The rocks and deadfall cut the leather on the toe and despite them being well broke in and comfortable hunting in the east, they hurt my feet every day in the mountains. I picked up a pair of Schnees beartooths for my next hunt and have stuck with them ever since.

Boots fit everyone differently, so if the elk trackers fit you well they will certainly work until you can upgrade. Keep in mind though that your feet are your main mode of transportation and your boots must be comfortable or you are in for a long trip.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
This is some good advise. I think it’s sometimes hard to look past everyone telling you to get this or that or that you “need” to get this gear as it will be a game changer. I thank you for your honesty. All these forums have me rethinking all the gear I already have haha.
Some guys on here are more about gear than hunting. Just like some guys in fishing are more about lures than they are actually catching.

Better gear = better comfort = staying focused and staying longer.

Comparison is the thief of joy
A lot of people on this site throw around big money on gear and hunts. What they value and find comfort in is far from what I would want. Custom built $4000 rifles, $3000 worth of clothing, side by sides, etc...

I am a North East tracker, a Remington 760 from 1962 with a barrel I cut down to 18", crowned with a dremel and JB welded a front sight on. Wool clothing and duck tape on my boot tops to stop snow from coming in.

Long story short, find out what you value in your hunt, boots are a big part, but don't let stop you from getting out. Upgrade when you can/need to.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Back when the Elk Trackers first came out I used them on my Colorado hunts. They got me by without many issues. I've since moved on to lighter, more durable, and comfortable footwear that work better for my feet. As others have said, there are or may be better options for "your feet" however, the Elk Trackers will work for sure.

intunegp

WKR
Any recommendations on other boots if I am able to get a pair before the season starts?

I wear Crispi Nevada GTX uninsulated for probably 95% of my elk and mule deer hunting these days. Just giving the recommendation since you asked.

As many others have told you, this can be a deep and very expensive rabbit hole if you choose to dive in head first. You can definitely have a successful elk hunt in the boots you have now. You could also spend $400+ on a new pair of boots that would likely be more comfortable, which may increase your odds by keeping your head in the hunt rather than dwelling on your cold/sore/whatever feet. Maybe you'd hike further or hunt longer if your feet were more comfy, but it's not just going to magically happen because you laced up some new boots. Maybe you're the type to head back to the truck after a few hours no matter what.

Is it safe to assume you're not going out solo? If you're hunting with anyone else, especially if they have more experience than you, ask them what they'll be wearing. That may or may not be helpful but at least they know what type of weather/conditions to expect. If I'd asked the guys I cut my teeth with they'd have told me to get some Sorel Caribous and that's all I'd ever need. I've tried Sorels and still own a pair, but they're not what I want in a primary hunting boot.