Anything Irish Setter worth trying?

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
I have Vaportrek snake boots and really like them. They are extremely comfortable. I’m on my second pair, as what others have mentioned, they last about 3 years of good use. I will buy another pair when my current wear out.

I’m considering other Vaportreks as a good, multi use light hunting boot for whitetail and general woods wear when I am not carrying a heavy pack or load. I have other boots better situated for that.

I got elk trackers, they were passable their first year, after one elk (packed out 2), deer(packed out 2), and bear season they were completely wore out. Waterproofing gone, tread pretty minimal, seams starting to burst. I got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and a Crispi guide and haven't looked back.

Granted i put the miles on that year, probably over 75. But dont cheap out on boots or packs man, ive heard to learn that the hard way. If youre hunting back east the Elk Trackers or Vepyrs will do fine, but for western hunting its a no go
In all fairness they are called 'Elk Trackers' and not 'Elk Packers'...

All in all they have been good boots and comfortable for me but I will echo that the waterproofing is not as good and you will need to apply leather waterproofer on the leather. I dont think they have an inner waterproof membrane.

Charlie Brown

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Elk Trackers for 2seasons elk hunting. Break in was not to bad, they are a little heavier being all leather. I do treat them at start of season and midway through. My feet stayed dry when my partners Crispi's soaked through. Only issue I have is the area where tongue meets the lace area on inside of boot and the lace grommet. Too much coming together in one place causes a rub spot on your foot just above and in front of ankle. I have to tape my foot after 1st day.

OP
brentwinkey
I got elk trackers, they were passable their first year, after one elk (packed out 2), deer(packed out 2), and bear season they were completely wore out. Waterproofing gone, tread pretty minimal, seams starting to burst. I got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and a Crispi guide and haven't looked back.

Granted i put the miles on that year, probably over 75. But dont cheap out on boots or packs man, ive heard to learn that the hard way. If youre hunting back east the Elk Trackers or Vepyrs will do fine, but for western hunting its a no go

I got a good set of boots now...these boots would be a back up set more or less that stay in the truck...can only use the $200 at a redwing store so im confinded to there product line. Got a set of mendle's that are going on 10yrs old...absolutely perfect other then finally needing inserts and laces this year...100ish miles on them every year since i bought them between upland/western and predator seasons

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Irish Setter Vaprtreks and after two seasons the waterproofing was worthless. I also did not like the tread pattern, too little traction.

Late to the convo but the Elk trackers hurt my heel on a level I didn’t know was possible. I had to finish the last 6 days of my hunt in my pac boots.

Late to the convo but the Elk trackers hurt my heel on a level I didn’t know was possible. I had to finish the last 6 days of my hunt in my pac boots.

That's odd. Not sure why that is. My guide uses Irish Setter Elk Trackers and turned me onto them about 15 years ago, and I've been using them ever since. Consequently, I've referred the same boot to a lot of my hunting clients and none of them ever had any issues, either.

That's odd. Not sure why that is. My guide uses Irish Setter Elk Trackers and turned me onto them about 15 years ago, and I've been using them ever since. Consequently, I've referred the same boot to a lot of my hunting clients and none of them ever had any issues, either.
Maybe I have odd-shaped feet? Redwing work boots don’t give me the same problem…who knows

I have used the Elk Trackers for 2seasons elk hunting. Break in was not to bad, they are a little heavier being all leather. I do treat them at start of season and midway through. My feet stayed dry when my partners Crispi's soaked through. Only issue I have is the area where tongue meets the lace area on inside of boot and the lace grommet. Too much coming together in one place causes a rub spot on your foot just above and in front of ankle. I have to tape my foot after 1st day.
I registered on this forum just for this comment. I have this same issue, and it's my only complaint about this boot. I have abused them in some pretty rough country and man they really protect your feet. Except that same area Charlie Brown is talking about. Anyone else have this issue? And if so, have you tried different lacing techniques to get rid of this issue successfully?

Long story short i got $200 to use towards redwing/irish setter boots. Anything worth checking out. Had my eye on the elk trackers as a backup pair of western hunting boots. Any opinions or recommendations would be great. Thanks Brent
11" Elk Trackers are really great boots for walking, hiking and in snow, but for real rocky areas get something with a stiffer sole. Hike five miles in varied terrain they were wonderful. Then I went through an old lava field and darn near was crippled. Soles are fairly flexible and on rocks they allow your foot to twist. Again, this works well for hiking, but sucks in rocky areas.

I registered on this forum just for this comment. I have this same issue, and it's my only complaint about this boot. I have abused them in some pretty rough country and man they really protect your feet. Except that same area Charlie Brown is talking about. Anyone else have this issue? And if so, have you tried different lacing techniques to get rid of this issue successfully?
Not sure exact same issue, but initially had tongue rub. Rearranged how I folded it and no longer a problem.