IR illuminators. Is IR light visible to game animals

On a recent outing trying to call lions/coyotes a heard of elk fed out onto the hillside. I could hear them talking and put my scope on them to take a look. It was almost daylight but still to dark to make them out without the illumination. As i panned the scope across the heard many of the elk stopped feeding to look up and then look directly at me. The heard was ranged at 392 yards. The light didn't seem to alarm them, but they definitely noticed it, so this got me thinking that I might be making a mistake in how i use the illuminator while hunting predators. Thoughts/experiences?

Optic: Sightmark Wraith HD 4-32x50
IR: Sniper Hog 50LRX 850 nm bulb

Last edited:
Most definitely all predators can see the IR illuminators. It is very obvious to those who use trail cameras with IR and most of the time the predator will be looking right into the camera , often spooking. The same goes for IR lights used to aid NV scopes. The predators will see it and most, not all, but most will have a negative reaction to it. The problem is magnified when you have the light off and turn it own while the coyote is looking or coming your way. My experience tells me that I had the best success keeping the IR on low power and turning it up if needed just before the shot. I still had predators that spooked but not as many as having it off and the popping it on bright in their eyes.

The way it has been explained to me is if you are worried about them seeing it run the 940nm light and it is much less visible to them, if they are mostly outside 200 yards or they don't much care run 850nm for a more powerful illume, but it is more visable