IPhone 15 or In reach ....

CRJR45

WKR
I did a search and found nothing recent .
I'm wanting to have satellite service in the backcountry , and I'm due for a update on my phone , an I-11 .
I can get the I15 for $225 and the salesperson said it has the ability to text via satellite . Anybody have one and is that the case ?
Or should I just keep the 11 and buy an Inreach , or Zoleo ? If so , which one has the best bang for my bucks ?

Thanks for any help ahead of time .

Wish I had an answer for you. I’m interested to see what people have to say on this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes new iPhones have that for emergencies, but seemed like more of sharing location in event of emergency (yes my iPhone has that capability).

Last year T Mobile and Starlink collaboration were going to allow satellite text capability for people that lived in out of service areas. So if you have T Mobile, maybe that will work but I’m unsure if that service ever came online.

I have Verizon. I didn’t try to use satellite function (but should try it out). But from what I know, it’s an emergency satellite capability when using Verizon.

I used Garmin for years but it didn’t work the way it previously did (in our experience) so my buddies and I went zoleo last year and it’s awesome.

I suggest going Zoleo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
iPhone 15 ≠ inReach

you're at camp and okay- no go w/ the 15
hey Hon call Mark I've got the truck stuck here_______- no go w/ the 15
hey John I've got a bull down, can you help me pack it out - no go w/ the 15
change of plans, going to bail and be at this trailhead instead- no go w/ the 15

everyone carries the inReach for emergency use, but knock on wood- rarely does someone use it for that; on the other hand most use it for almost all trips taken for some reason or the other

someday your cell phone will replace the inReach, but it's not today

hunterjmj

WKR
I pay the monthly fee for InReach since we're in rural Montana and it would be nice to be rid of $11.99/ month but I bet we'll pay for satellite texting when it does become available. So, I'll probably never get rid of $11.99/month.

Yeah my understanding of the new iPhone capability is it does not have satellite text capability. So that salesman is selling you a line of BS. It's emergency only, and the message goes to emergency services. Only thing that's not clear to me is whether it goes direct to your local emergency responders at that time or if the message goes to a rescue coordination center type place first. But no satellite texting with the new phone to stay in touch with loved ones while out of cell service.

yfarm

WKR
Also know the limitations of the satellite company each uses. Some of the low orbit satellites have limited coverage. In Reach uses Iridium which most users say has the best coverage. Routinely use it offshore in the summer and in the mountains in the fall. Has never failed but sometimes texts take a while to appear to the receiver, like 30 minutes even when you have a clear horizon. Know of some large vessels using Starlink, have had issues making calls when service was initially started.

t_carlson

WKR
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't want my camera, alarm clock, GPS/maps, and emergency device all rolled into one. Phone also tend to be in places they can be dropped or lost or broken easily, whereas you can stuff an InReach down inside of your pack.

One failure and you're in some real trouble real quick. I think there will always be a good argument for having an independent emergency device.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't want my camera, alarm clock, GPS/maps, and emergency device all rolled into one. Phone also tend to be in places they can be dropped or lost or broken easily, whereas you can stuff an InReach down inside of your pack.

One failure and you're in some real trouble real quick. I think there will always be a good argument for having an independent emergency device.
Folks felt the same way about standalone GPS units. Look at how few are in use now compared to folks using smart phones and apps (ex: Onyx).

t_carlson

WKR
Folks felt the same way about standalone GPS units. Look at how few are in use now compared to folks using smart phones and apps (ex: Onyx).

An emergency device and a GPS unit are not in the same category, but go right ahead and do your own thing...

My office comes to an absolute grinding HALT when the internet goes out. Didn't used to be that way.

Technology is great, but only when it works.

An emergency device and a GPS unit are not in the same category, but go right ahead and do your own thing...

My office comes to an absolute grinding HALT when the internet goes out. Didn't used to be that way.

Technology is great, but only when it works.
Naive to believe that no technology will ever come along at any point in the future that will combine InReach-type of technology with some other piece of technology, existing or new.

Just a few years ago being able to use a smart phone for satellite SOS was unheard of. Just this past week some hikers used it to get help for a fellow hiker in the Grand Canyon. That too was unheard of just a few years ago.

Lots of rapid advancements on this front.

Pro953

WKR
The 14 has the emergency sat capability, but I do not know of any changes that allow general text communication at this time.

I try not to pack my fears too much but the redundancy of a in-reach and emergency sat capable I-phone was nice in my opinion.

I do like being able to send my wife or office the occasional message but I cannot say I love the idea of having full/regular communication in the back country.

I used to love the hours on the plane when I could actually relax and read a book too. Sadly no excuse for that anymore!

Garmins satellites have been reliable for me on my boat. I got an inreach mini 2 for my solo backcountry trip to Idaho this year. The Earthmate map app is a nice feature too.