Invest money into an free ALICE frame or stop tinkering and stay with my MR PU28?

Wife got me an old ALICE frame from a yard sale. The bag and belt/straps are beyond useable but the frame look solid. I told myself l would stop tinkering with gears and be happy with just one pack. So got the MR PU28(on sale again at camofire FYI). But it might be fun giving life to a dependable vintage item. Was thinking of replacing the straps and belt and bag. Which might add up $$$ on something that l might never use. I understand its my money to spend, but am l just throwing money away?

*zap*

WKR
With the upgraded straps/belt the alice could be a good backup. Mystery ranch bags may fit right on it depending on model. I have used alice style bags on my MR Guide Light frame.

Carrying light weight? Alice with upgraded straps is ok.

Carrying heavy weight? Don’t waste your time and money. The center metal cross sections can’t handle it. They will bend and the weight will be riding on your spine. I speak from experience.

Drenalin

WKR
If I were inclined to carry anything in an ALICE pack again, which I’m not, the frame would be the first thing I’d try to replace. I think you’d be throwing money away.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
ALICE frames are somewhere between junk and trash. If you have an exceptionally short torso and could rig it with load lifters, it might be worth playing with just for fun. Otherwise I think you could fab up a better frame from hardwood.

Turn it into a wall hanger as suggested above.

Plastic or the old style aluminum? Both go for about $35 and both suck. I carried some soul crushing loads with them - mortar base plates, cans of 40mm ammo - and they work but I would never say they work better than a good civy pack. The design is ancient and was, by modern backpacking standards, intentionally compromised (short total length) so it could be rigged for airborne operations. I haven’t priced upgrade components lately, but I bet if you really tricked one out with new straps and belt, you could spend +$100. you could probably spend that cash on something better and come out ahead. Used SATL packs or MR nice frames were going for $100-150 near FT Bragg last time i was in that area. USMC filbe / Ilbe packs are decent. Even the army mole packs are worth a look for a cheap hauler.

FWIW I bought a couple of Alice packs and frames in a fit of nostalgia a while pack. They never get used when any other pack is an option.

Last edited:

oldmac

FNG
Old new guy and first post
FWIW I have been running a medium alice for over 20 years packing out meat. Just put fireforce tactical straps and belt on it and made it even better. I have had other high end frame packs over the years but end up getting rid of them and going back to the alice. It just works for me.

The “upgraded” ALICE systems with tubular frames and padded waist belt/shoulder straps are much better an issued large mountain ruck, but I would never use one on purpose for hunting.

tcg144

FNG
I saw one at army and navy for cheap and started thinking I could use it as a base but I concluded that I didn’t think it would be worth the time with how short/wide it was. Ended up trying to make a frame sheet like a duplex.

I do have the MRPU28 and it’s a great bag, but I also want soemthing a little bigger and that can carry more weight comfortably