Interesting Scam Attempt - Beware

7mm-08

WKR
I purchased a jacket from a member (FNG) last night and communicated with him through PMs. I sent him my cell phone number and he (fortunately) reciprocated with providing his own cell number at the same time he communicated his PayPal information. This is where it gets weird. I get a random series of texts from (803) 574-9370:

"Hey man.

Texting concerning the kuiu Guide jacket

I'm asking $100 plus $20 shipped What's your shipping address?"

I did not respond to this series of texts because the area code the seller provided in his PM was an area code for a location in Texas. The 803 area code is assigned to South Carolina. I communicated with the seller last night and this morning through PMs and it is clear he did not send the text from the phone with the 803 area code. I've blocked this 803 number from my cell phone.

I generally provide my address, cell number and (sometimes) my personal email address to members I am dealing with on the sale or purchase of items though PMs. But, this experience is disconcerting.

Thoughts?

Beendare

WKR
The only way I do deals on a classifieds in forums is if they have a rating system like here on Rokslide. I look at the members activity and last posts…and I never use F&F Paypal.

Never a problem with guys that have good feedback.

Some classifieds- like over on Bowsite with no ratings- have nothing but problems with scams.

Beendare

WKR
No doubt, it takes some work to administer programs on a site like Rokslide, but I appreciate the extra work they have done to keep us safer..

OP

7mm-08

WKR
No doubt, it takes some work to administer programs on a site like Rokslide, but I appreciate the extra work they have done to keep us safer..
No question the administrators on Rokslide do an exceptional job of being proactive with threads AND classified issues that arise. This one just perplexes me.

This is the only forum I am on that has a feedback thingy, I honestly dont pay it much mind. I generally dont buy from the new guys. But give most folks a quick search of their posts before sending them money.

Also tend to skip over the guys that only accept paypal or such.

General this is associated with you having posted your number in a public forum somewhere.

Then the scammer see you say you will take the item then reaches out.
They also my make a login the same as the seller but put a . At the end. You have to look close to see its xxx. Instead of xxx

This happened recently on a deal where I was the seller. The buyer got a series of texts asking for payment that were not from me. I think the previous poster has the right of it… someone is matching on last name and phone number obtained from a public source and just taking a flyer that every once in a while someone will pay.