Integral Rail Really Worth It?

Is an Integral Rail That Important?

I’m working with my gunsmith on a custom rifle build. We ordered a Defiance AnTI, and I saw that they discontinued it.

The rifle will be 7mm PRC for Colorado backcountry elk hunting with shots between 200 and 500 yards (I practice out to 1000 at my range). It’ll be in an MDT HNT 26 chassis with a 22” Proof carbon barrel, and I shoot suppressed.

With the AnTI being discontinued, I did some research on the AnTI X and started second guessing my gunsmith’s recommendations.

When we were starting the build (in May) I explained that I want the lightest rifle possible because I hike ~10 miles into the backcountry.

Am I splitting hairs here or would the AnTI X be a better option for me? Or will lightweight Talley mounts on the AnTI be perfectly fine?

OP
B
Anti X is a great action. The weight of the integrated rail would be the least of my worries.
I have no doubt. I mean the only difference is the integral rail, and if I were building a short action, I would totally go that rout. But with the long action, I’m liking the flexibility of a full rail.

you really don’t need to build the lightest rifle of all time just because you hunt 10 miles deep in the back country- especially with a 7prc. Id bet you would be better suited building a shootable gun. An integral rail is a great feature for a reliable system. But pinning and epoxying the base to the action seems to work as well.

I'm sure the AntiX will be fine if you go with that. Honestly I'm kind of curious about your barrel choice. Is a Proof carbon barrel actually lighter than a steel barrel that's just skinny enough to take 5/8-24 threads?

I'm sure the AntiX will be fine if you go with that. Honestly I'm kind of curious about your barrel choice. Is a Proof carbon barrel actually lighter than a steel barrel that's just skinny enough to take 5/8-24 threads?

Probably if you want a 0.100” shoulder for 5/8 threads without an adapter. A straight taper .750 is about the same. A heavily fluted one my be lighter. A lighter contour steel threaded to 5/8 with an added shoulder could def be lighter.

But carbon barrels and chassis are..
FD22E860-47BE-4B00-A28C-7799C05840DC.jpeg

huntnful

WKR
Definitely go with an integrated rail. And you couldn’t pay me $10k to put a set of lightweight Talley rings on a back country rifle. Those things are JUNK. The thought of using those to save weight, is so counterintuitive to what you actual need on a backpack hunt. Which is dependability. That 200lbs of elk meat you need to be carrying out, will be a lot more work than an extra 3oz on your rifle.

Definitely go with an integrated rail. And you couldn’t pay me $10k to put a set of lightweight Talley rings on a back country rifle. Those things are JUNK. The thought of using those to save weight, is so counterintuitive to what you actual need on a backpack hunt. Which is dependability. That 200lbs of elk meat you need to be carrying out, will be a lot more work than an extra 3oz on your rifle.
Curious what issues you’ve had with the talleys? Not doubting your comment but myself and buddy have had them on our tikka backcountry rifles for years without issue.

huntnful

WKR
Curious what issues you’ve had with the talleys? Not doubting your comment but myself and buddy have had them on our tikka backcountry rifles for years without issue.
I've seen 3 of them cracked around the screw holes of the tube rings. And the screws have stripped out or broke in 3 different actions. I just don't personally feel like there is anything quality about them at all. If I was going to use that style of ring, it would be the hawkins rings.