insulated pants

ROJO23

FNG
anyone make any insulated pants for glassing? I am looking to make some with apex insulation, just trying to figure out if i should use 2.0 or 3.6oz

just something i would use while stationary

any thoughts?

I wear some old Sitka Kelvins on those cold mornings glassing up javelina in winter or late hunts.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I can't think of many pros vs cons between the two other than warmth. The 3.6oz would be a little bulkier, but if you are sitting in one spot, that isn't really an issue. Make sure to sew in a full length zipper! Looking forward to some pictures

j43097

FNG
20221011_072256[1].jpg20221011_072352[1].jpg
I've been doing them with 850 fill down with pretty good success. Use 4 oz total and I've been warm standing still in sub zero Temps. Haven't gotten them wet so I can say how well the dwr fabric or hyperdry down really works. Cost wise I would say your not much better off going synthetic. These stuff down to slightly bigger than a nalgene

Attachments

• 20230129_145536.jpg
    20230129_145536.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
View attachment 513711View attachment 513713
I've been doing them with 850 fill down with pretty good success. Use 4 oz total and I've been warm standing still in sub zero Temps. Haven't gotten them wet so I can say how well the dwr fabric or hyperdry down really works. Cost wise I would say your not much better off going synthetic. These stuff down to slightly bigger than a nalgene
I would agree with you on the cost. Only thing is I already have some apex, and I have the fabric for the inner and outer shells.

where did you get your pattern for your pants? they look great. I have plans for a down jacket, and if i have any supplies left I may try some down pants

j43097

FNG
I would agree with you on the cost. Only thing is I already have some apex, and I have the fabric for the inner and outer shells.

where did you get your pattern for your pants? they look great. I have plans for a down jacket, and if i have any supplies left I may try some down pants
Well thats a pretty good reason to go apex. I've gone through a few patterns. Ultimately I cut up a pair of hospital scrubs for the first pattern and then modified it over a couple generations. What fabric are you gonna use for shell and inner?

I also have hopes of getting a down jacket done, got the materials just need time.

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
for the inner I have some low stretch light weight spandex. The outer is a 2 way stretch poly blend with dwr. I bought it from rocky wood, but it is now discontinued.

i have some old pj pants that i will probably end up using as a pattern. I watched a video on how a lady used some legging to make a pattern by folding them and tracing around them. I tried that, but I don't think i have the crotch area even close. it would be easy to cut up the pj pants to make sure everything is right

i have 1.0 nylon for the down jacket that i need to find time to make as well. i bought 800 fill down from ripstop

j43097

FNG
I have some 800 fill coming from ripstop right now, never ordered it from them before, usually use " loose goose" eager to see if there is any difference. What are ya gonna use for the jacket pattern?

You spend a lot of time glassing javalina? Or you have, once, maybe twice?
I have grown weary of the bovine excrement you post; it lowers the appeal of this forum and herein choose to completely ignore you.

4dd597b8-27ac-4597-9624-93fda7d9069d_text.gif

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
I have some 800 fill coming from ripstop right now, never ordered it from them before, usually use " loose goose" eager to see if there is any difference. What are ya gonna use for the jacket pattern?
I have a vest pattern from green pepper that I am going to use. Figured the sleeves would be easy enough to figure out without a pattern.