Insulated or uninsulated for all purpose??

I’m looking for an all purpose boot that I can wear from Sept-early Nov for Colorado hunts. I like how Schnee Beartooths feel, but I’m curious if I should just go uninsulated, or if 200g would be too warm for mid Sept? I’ve seen people saying that uninsulated are fine for Oct and Nov rifle hunts, but mainly curious if 200g would be too much for Sept archery.

Poser

WKR
I can't imagine wearing insulated boots in Colorado in Sept. Granted, I'm in the Southwest part of the state so an opinion from someone further North may vary, but its way too hot to even consider it and, with few exceptions, not cold enough in Sept even on the coldest years to justify them. I don't even currently own a pair of insulated boots for hunting. I do intend to pick up a pair of 200g for 3rd rifle on the years when the weather warrants them, but even that is ~50% of the seasons and hasn't been much of a gear upgrade priority since I spend a ton of $ on footwear already

Of course, much of this depends on if you are prone to cold feet and also how active or inactive your hunting style is. I find that a pair of mountaineering socks and tying my boots a bit looser to accommodate more versatile for dealing with big temperature swings. My recommendation for what you are asking is to go uninsulated and then eventually pick up a pair of 200g for later seasons or the occasional cold/big snow October seasons, but for a do-it-all in Colorado, uninsulated and a variety of socks.

Uninsulated, as with most gear, you can always layer up, wear more socks, or boot covers if needed. Start with uninsulated boots, then a goretex set, then if your kit seems to not carry the water for you, advance to an insulated set.

My experience with insulated is that no matter how cold it is (sub-zero even), once you’re moving for 10 minutes, they’re too hot.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely uninsulated. Even 200 would be brutal if you’re hiking any amount. My feet can often get hotter than I care for in uninsulated.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above…but….

When you’re in the mountains, weather can be unpredictable. I usually bring 2-3 pairs of boots to camp. More often than not, I’m running light and fast, uninsulated boots, but if the weather changes, I’m ready. A couple of years ago, it was -20 here in MT opening day of rifle season in mid-oct.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got 200g Beartooths and they are incredibly hot to use in September here in MT, mostly a November and on boot for me.

Luked

WKR
Uninsulated 100%.
I cant wear any insulated boots as my feet sweat pretty bad and we all know what that leads to.
I also wear Darn Tough socks that keep everything working well and the moisture wicked away.
Run my Lowa Tibet from September till the end of season.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Un-insulated and usually not waterproof for boots that will be used to cover any serious distance. I’ll bring multiple types of Darn Tough socks though. Thicker ones to keep warmer, and thinner ones for hot weather or longer hikes.

If there is snow on the ground or if I’ll be doing mostly static tree stand type hunting, I may grab waterproof and/or insulated boots.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I missed it, but where are you hunting?

My feet aren’t too sweaty, and I mostly hunt in on the coast of SE and southcentral AK. For me insulated is okay in Aug, just more airing out of feet. Not ideal in high 60’s, but works alright. And for low 50s on down it helps me quite a lot.

I got a great deal on a pair of White’s 400gm boots and have worn them in the 60’s without to much of a furnace feeling. 50’s and down I think they will be fine. Swapping out to dry socks once stationary is the key with any boot in cold weather hunting. Drying them out at night when possible is also key. That said I’d go uninsulated.

Uninsulated until it gets below zero for me. Once it gets into late October and November in a 3rd or 4th season hunt the only thing I'll change is maybe a little thicker sock over my liner sock and I'll bring the arctic shield boot insulators. with for longer glassy sits if it's really cold out.

Your feet are your feet and you know them better than anyone else. Let that be your guide.

The issue you  could run into with relying on extra socks are tight boots and constricting blood flow  somewhat in your feet until they loosen up. If you buy boots a 1/2 size larger to accommodate the extra socks, there will be some play in the foot bed, heal, or toe box when not wearing them.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running uninsulated Crispis here in Utah currently and they seem to be a damn furnace. Back east when I hunt in WV I'm wearing 1400G Rockys and my feet still get cold.