Insulated boots or no?

Yay or nay

• Insulated

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Non-insulated

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats a no for me. I have a couple pairs of insulated boots I wear ice fishing. All my hunting boots are non insulated, used with a pair of wool socks if it is going to be really cold.

Zappaman

WKR
Trick question...

In the stand I'll take insulated (and electric socks if below 10 deg or so). On sub zero goose/duck hunts I''ll take insulation- how much depends if we're sitting or jump shooting ponds.

I have some boots with none (for early season), some with 400 (mid-season) and a pair with 1600 (-14 last year) pass shooting geese (-24 wind chill and wind was 20 mph).

But ALWAYS good thick mil-surp wool socks- year round if in boots (with liners or elecrtic socks when it's really cold out)

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I used to wear insulated boots while hunting, because my feet were always cold. I also kept buying boots with more insulation, because nothing seemed to keep my feet warm. Then I realized just how much my feet sweat. So I switched to non-insulated boots and a good pair of wool socks, like Darn Tough, and my feet have never been happier or cold since.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Used non insulated on my sheep hunt ,wasn’t necessary even though temps never got above 50*

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Like ZAK, I find that the right socks make more of a difference than the boot insulation. Find good boys that fit and adjust socks according to conditions.

Your question is too general.

I wear boots according to the hunt- Northern sheep, Alaska or late season sure insulated.

Early, hot dry seasons, Mexico, Hawaii, non- insulated

Dust1n

FNG
As of the last few years my feet started to sweat heavy. I bit the bullet and got some Crispi Idaho Non Insulated Boots in hopes that resolves the issue.
Wet Feet = Cold Feet

Bones24

FNG
I recently bought Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's and went with the non-insulated. Taking a couple different sock weights with me on NWT trip for insulation.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I still hunt whitetails in the southeast (Bowling Green KY is as far north from FL as I hunt) and I could never keep my feet warm, regardless of the amount of insulation in my boots or the combination of liner/sock. I started to apply unscented anti-perspirant to my feet and that helped a lot, but I still needed fairly bulky boots.

For the past two years, I have hunted in uninsulated, waterproof Merrell hikers, with Arctic Shield boot covers and a HotHands hand warmer in the toe section. It cut down on bulk and my feet stay toasty warm. I activate the handwarmers when I wake up in the morning and place them in the toes of the boot covers to pre-heat. When I get to my stand, I can just slip them on/off as needed.

WCB

WKR
I use uninsulated unless I am stand hunting or ice fishing. Proper fit and proper socks will do you right in cold weather on active hunts. I wear the same boots (Crispi Wyoming) early season bow hunting in the Dakotas (Labor day) to November Mule deer hunts or even December late season hunts.

I also grew up freezing my feet playing hockey on outdoor rinks so take it for what it is worth but again proper fit and proper socks have served me better than heavier insulated boots.

My Lowa Tibet GTX are not insulated. I hike more than sit. I’d bet most elk hunters go without insulation. If I were in a tree stand it would make sense,

I used to wear insulated boots while hunting, because my feet were always cold. I also kept buying boots with more insulation, because nothing seemed to keep my feet warm. Then I realized just how much my feet sweat. So I switched to non-insulated boots and a good pair of wool socks, like Darn Tough, and my feet have never been happier or cold since.
I believe I have sadly done the same, have a pair of 600gr all leather Danners and my feet would almost always get cold, once I switched to a merino wool sock not as bad. I have messed around in a few pairs of all leather non insulated boots that are more lifestyle and wouldn't you know it with the same type of merino wool socks my feet actually stay warmer!

As of the last few years my feet started to sweat heavy. I bit the bullet and got some Crispi Idaho Non Insulated Boots in hopes that resolves the issue.
Wet Feet = Cold Feet
I am very curious how these work out for you. I have considered those boots for a few years now. Part of me and from some reading wonder if the PUtek Spider Fabric being so breathable will allow cold air in? I know it will help with keeping feet dryer but just curious. Just realized that they actually updated the Idaho's and Wyoming's.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Are y’all using insulated or non insulated on hunts?
I Used the Crispi Briskdals SF this past season for the first time. I found them be a great compromise with 200 insulation. I did try the regular ones first but after trying them in the house, I figured they were not stiff enough for me.