Installing pit zips in raincoat ?

Has anyone ever done this ? I have a 3l raincoat from north 40 outfitters that has no pit zips, I would like to install some. Wondering how hard this would be to accomplish and what zippers would be best to use. thoughts ?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I've never attempted pit zips, but I have installed zippers on clothing. I don't think it would be too difficult, you'll just have to be brave enough to make some cuts in your raincoat ;). Here is a good example: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/27921/

My rain jacket's pit zips look like waterproof zippers. I like that there are two sliders so that I can adjust how much it is unzipped and where along the zipper the opening is (underarm or along my chest)

OP
G
I am going to do it. Just need some time and to get the zippers. Thanks for talking about why you like two sliders, I would have just gone with one. Makes sense to have more venting options. That link is perfect, sew it in before you cut.

A decent and professional option, depending on where you live, is to look for gear and clothing alteration shops near Army/Marine bases. There is usually a pile of them right off the installation that will knock out what you’re looking for in about 24 hours for a few bucks.

I’ve had pockets, zippers, reinforced belt loops, etc moved or added on everything from pants to packs for a couple of dollars. Just walk in and explain what you want.