Inreach Question

WyoElk

WKR
If I opt for a freedom plan with my inreach I'm wondering if it would still send an SOS activation during the months I don't have an active service plan going? I understand that there would be no messaging or other features, just curious if the SOS function is tied to the plan or not. Thanks for the info.

oldgoat

WKR
Pretty sure you have to have an active plan for it to do anything beyond powering up. Who the hell would pay for service if you could sos for free?

The oldgoat is correct. It's a brick when you don't have an active service plan. One of the Delorme reps stated that in a thread.

molon labe

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Copy that. Didn't know if it was like a cell phone where as you can still call 911 without a service plan. Thanks for the info.

Mv48

FNG
It's nice though that you can just suspend the unit and only use the features during months you'll be out.
The SOS feature is not active when the device is not "in active service" due to liability issues as well.
This is using satellite services and the company has to pay for access and use to those services. So between liability and high costs of operation - servicing inactive units for SOS features would be a negative cash flow and effectively remove Delorme fron our market (not something any of us would like)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mv48

FNG
Also something you guys may be interested in. Garmin has acquired Delorme and will be absorbing them and their awesome tech into their product line and perhaps even future Garmin GPS units. That's some awesome prospects right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrdkill

WKR
garmin bought out tri-tronics too & you woulda thought it would have been a plus but it hasn't