Inreach mini vs messenger

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Couple quick questions on both units before I purchase. Watching reviews it seems the garmin messenger has substantially better battery life and can reverse charge if shit hits the fan….. if I plan to only use it to message from my phone and to call for an emergency is the messenger the way to go?? I don’t plan on using the device as a mapping device as I will be using map apps on my phone. Anyone buy the messenger and regret not getting the mini??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
The messenger does have what you said. The mini is more bombproof ime.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm headed to North Maine Woods 10/28.

I picked up Starlink mini and I'm working on DC power bank besides running it off truck.

Picked up Inreach Mini for my pack. I want to use it to drop a pin and return to where I started, not make my smart phone work. So after reading the reviews where they pretty much all fawn over the new messenger, I still went with the older option.

I might get another one for my wife to see where I'm at and upgrade to the pro plan.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I have the messenger and have no regrets. Before I was using an old delorme model. For short trips I won't take a battery bank and just use the Messenger to charge a device if needed. The only thing I wish is that it wasn't all black. I would prefer it to be a bright color so it's not easily misplaced.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to North Maine Woods 10/28.

I picked up Starlink mini and I'm working on DC power bank besides running it off truck.

Picked up Inreach Mini for my pack. I want to use it to drop a pin and return to where I started, not make my smart phone work. So after reading the reviews where they pretty much all fawn over the new messenger, I still went with the older option.

I might get another one for my wife to see where I'm at and upgrade to the pro plan.
?? Your wife does not need an Inreach mini to see where you are per your own Inreach...

RS3579

WKR
I used the messenger last fall in CO for the exact way you need yours. No issues at all. The mapping was nice for a piece of mind for my family. Quick connection and message sending. I used OnX for my mapping needs. Just remember to download the offline maps. Cabelas has them on sale closer to the season and use active junky to save a little more.

Pecosray

FNG
Couple quick questions on both units before I purchase. Watching reviews it seems the garmin messenger has substantially better battery life and can reverse charge if shit hits the fan….. if I plan to only use it to message from my phone and to call for an emergency is the messenger the way to go?? I don’t plan on using the device as a mapping device as I will be using map apps on my phone. Anyone buy the messenger and regret not getting the mini??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like you have an iPhone, The new iPhone satellite messaging feature is a groundbreaking addition to Apple's smartphone capabilities. Introduced with iOS 18, this feature allows users to send messages via satellite when they are outside of cellular and Wi-Fi. It's particularly useful in emergency situations or while traveling in remote areas. So you can text whenever you want where ever you are, just upgrade to the new ios.14..

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I meant I can hand her (or any partner) the other one and move and she can see me.
That is possible with a single unit. Turn on tracking and the share location feature and they can track you via their cell ohone or desktop computer at whatever time frequency you choose.

I am unaware of an actual feature for one mini to live track another mini.

IMG_5222.jpeg

Explorer+. No regrets.

- Long battery life, especially on extended mode, which allows tracking for up to 30 days.

- Completely redundant GPS with maps, redundant messaging, email, weather, and real-time tracking.

My phone stays in airplane mode to maximize battery life, but if it dies, got a pretty good interface completely independent in the inreach device.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
That is possible with a single unit. Turn on tracking and the share location feature and they can track you via their cell ohone or desktop computer at whatever time frequency you choose.

I am unaware of an actual feature for one mini to live track another mini.

View attachment 734482
OK. I see you can track devices thru the app.

How much trouble is it to send another user your coordinates and then mash them into your device to rendevous?

We tried to seperate with iphones in Montana in April with service and it had me going north to a ridge 1 mile away and the other party was on a ridge 400 yards away to the west. We found each other the old fashioned way and my battery was drained on my phone.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
OK. I see you can track devices thru the app.

How much trouble is it to send another user your coordinates and then mash them into your device to rendevous?
Just depends on what you know about it. Read up on the functionality of your model of Inreach mini and give the various options a try and see for yourself? Easy once you learn a few things. Sounds like time for you to start experimenting to see what works for you. I use my inreach mini linked to my phone A LOT to text other inreach users and to cell phones of friends. Works well.

"How much trouble is it to send another user your coordinates and then mash them into your device to rendevous?" Well it is EASY to send another inreach user your location and vice versa. Also easy to send your location to someone's cell phone as a text message ( if that person is in cell coverage so they receive it). Depends on the person and their skills on the other end what it would take for them to then use that data to rendezvous with you. Works great with my friends. Again, start practicing with your people to sort it out before you hit the woods. Asking on a forum without having actually experimented is not gonna get you prepared.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Just depends on what you know about it. Read up on the functionality of your model of Inreach mini and give the various options a try and see for yourself?
I'm finally getting into the Mini 2 now and see why most people are switching to the Messenger.

I feel like I'm back in 6th grade playing with a Tamagochi.

I perceive value in the redundancy of the screen as a messenger but now know that navigation or keeping track of other users that are nearby aren't strong features of the unit.

WMag338

WKR
I"ve recently switched to the messenger. Haven't used it in the field yet. I was carrying around my Garmin 66i for the inreach use and backup maps. Never used it for the maps as my phone never died. It was a pain in the dick lugging that heavy thing around just for *maybe* using it for the inreach capablities. I like that the messenger is super small and i can use it for a charge for my phone if my battery dies. Plus, if my phone does die, i can still use the messenger for some basic texting and SOS.