Inreach mini 2 vs messenger

schmalzy

WKR
My gen 1 mini is dying and struggling to charge. Considering replacing it with one of the above. Anyone have any recent experience or opinions on one over the other? Anyone regret getting the messenger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugby1382

FNG
My gen 1 mini is dying and struggling to charge. Considering replacing it with one of the above. Anyone have any recent experience or opinions on one over the other? Anyone regret getting the messenger?

Bump

I had the Mini and got the Messenger over the Mini 2. It has been awesome so far with sending and receiving. It definitely links faster over the Two as the antenna is a different design. I don’t use the mapping feature on the Mini as I have Gaia for that.

The battery life was what really sealed the deal for me. It’s lighter in the sense it’s honestly one less item I need to recharge in my pack during a 10-14 day hunt.

Last edited:

Kronos

FNG
I like redundancy. I use the mini as primary sos and the iPhone as a backup sos device. iPhone is primary navigation, with maps and garmin mini as backup.

The messenger provides less redundancy so that’s out for me.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
If you want the navigation features get the mini 2. I have my phone and watch for navigation so I use the Messenger. Nice feature of the Messenger is being able to charge your phone from it. For 1 or 2 night trips I don't carry a battery bank and just use the Messenger to charge my phone if needed.

I haven't used the mini or mini 2, but have used the messenger over the last 2 seasons. It has worked flawlessly and the battery life and message sending speed is incredible. I'm not sure what mapping capability the mini has, but with that tiny screen I can't see picking it over the messenger, especially if you use your phone for map/nav and have a GPS watch with waypoint nav capability.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Id recommend you take a look at Zoleo. For a host of reasons I switched a few seasons ago and am VERY glad I did. It's only downside is not onboard screen, like the Mini, but the other poaitives far out weigh it.

LRHFox

FNG
Id recommend you take a look at Zoleo. For a host of reasons I switched a few seasons ago and am VERY glad I did. It's only downside is not onboard screen, like the Mini, but the other poaitives far out weigh it.

I liked the zoleo this past season. But something went wrong for a bit and the Bluetooth stopped working between it and my phone.

I could tell the zoleo was one and I could use the emergency features, but I was unable to communicate with it with my phone.

It was a frustrating period of time in the field.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
when I bought the inreach mini, there was no messenger. If I had to buy now, messenger would be good. In another year, I think android phones will have satellite text functionality so then that would be my choice.

The safety plan is so cheap it doesn’t matter when you start. If you exceed the 10 “free” messages, they’re only $0.50 each so no big deal. Preset messages from you are free and don’t count. I normally send one free preset message per day that I’ve arrived at my campsite and everything’s okay.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread, not sure if you made up your mind, but I went from an inReach Mini 1st gen to the Messenger and have 0 regrets. The Messenger battery life is amazing, like unbelievably good. I would never go back to a Mini. With that said, over the now 3 inReach devices I've owned, I've used none of them for navigation purposes and I've used all of them while paired to a phone. So pretty much turn them, stick in my top pack pocket, and forget about them.

The Messenger form factor is also nice when not hiking with it. It sits on the truck and boat dashboard very well. Also fits nicely in a cargo pocket to carry on your person.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Old thread, not sure if you made up your mind, but I went from an inReach Mini 1st gen to the Messenger and have 0 regrets. The Messenger battery life is amazing, like unbelievably good. I would never go back to a Mini. With that said, over the now 3 inReach devices I've owned, I've used none of them for navigation purposes and I've used all of them while paired to a phone. So pretty much turn them, stick in my top pack pocket, and forget about them.

The Messenger form factor is also nice when not hiking with it. It sits on the truck and boat dashboard very well. Also fits nicely in a cargo pocket to carry on your person.

Appreciate the feedback.

Wrench

WKR
I had a lot of drama with my messenger early on. I am just about to let my mini go as I think the messenger is done being difficult. I had to be in internet areas to communicate with my phone....which was a problem.

The messenger battery will last 5x as long as the mini, but the mini is as solid as an anvil and works stand alone better imo.

What's the real world battery life of the messenger?
Mine was fantastic the last 2 seasons. In an 8-9 day trip, completely out of cell service, I had the tracking on all day long while I was awake and sent a total of something like 70ish messages through the week. I think I ended the week with 60% + battery left.

I didn't have any drama with my unit as opposed to Wrench's he mentioned (don't know the details). I haven't used the mini, but I'd pick messenger over mini unless you really need standalone navigation and screen.

Here's my review from the first trip. Post 62
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/garmin-releases-the-messenger.280531/page-4