Input needed on applying for elk

dado5

FNG
I am a new archery elk hutner. Last year I did my first solo hunt in CO unit 43 OTC. did not get an elk but had a great time. this year I am going back with a friend and was just going to go to the same place but was wondering if there are any easy draw areas without points that I should at least try for and if I dont get a tag then go back to the area I know. Was also thinking of throwing in an app for NM since my understanding is there are no preference points there. I have been looking at the draw stats but it is a little overwhelming and was hoping for some advice here.
thanks

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
There are definitely some units that you could draw with 0 points or for sure 1 point next year. It would be nice to at least have less hunters to deal with.

Also you are correct about NM with it being a random draw. If I remember right, you have to buy a hunting license for $65 but if you don't get drawn, you can get that refunded. I also believe you have to pay the full cost of the NM license upfront and they also have a $13 non refundable app fee.

Bar

Banned
You should never just buy an OTC tag. Always apply for a unit you have some chance to get, and if you fail you get a point. Then you can buy the OTC tag.

I'm not a bow hunter, so I can't help with what unit to apply for. I suggest you call the DOW, and ask for a hunt planner. It's their job to help you with your hunt.

303 297-1192

rpeebles

FNG
Sorry, I can't help you out with any units requiring "0" points, I mostly hunt OTC. However, Bar is right, you should always apply for a tag (or at least a point only) and then an OTC tag if you're unsuccessful. That way you will get a point to use in the future.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some advice that I read on another forum that is very insightful and I think will really help you out.

Do not waste time by starting somewhere you aren't going to stick with. Don't waste a week of vacation, an elk tag, and hundreds of dollars of fuel on hunting somewhere not worth the investment of the time you will put in when you get there, only to move on to another place the next year. Instead do everything in your power to qualify your spot from the start. Try to find places by word of mouth from people who have been there. If you struggle with that drive out during the summer and really get some hands on experience in an area that caught your attention on maps and Google earth etc. Send PMs to members on forums like this one and ask them straight up if they have a spot that they would be willing to let you get started on. Maps alone are not enough. There are a million square miles of great looking areas with sufficient habitat that do not hold elk for various reasons. So whatever you do, take the time to make that first elk hunt count. If you don't you can very easily have a bad experience and end up being one of the thousands of hunters who decide that elk hunting is not for them. It is expensive and it is really hard work. If you don't have a positive experience you or some of your partners may just throw in the towel. That's a shame, but it happens every year.

With this advice I would apply for a PP then continue to hunt the OTC unit you did last season. As you start to learn more about that unit you can decide if another unit is the way to go or not for future seasons. It generally takes about 4 seasons to really learn a unit. As a seasoned elk hunter in Colorado I have hunted a fair amount of different units. I can tell you that OTC units are very productive and hold excellent quality animals. So don't get caught up thinking that a limited quota unit is going to give you a better experience or animal over hunting a OTC unit. As you gain experience you'll start to look at different units with a greater understanding of potential opportunities and such. One of the best things you can start to learn is how to read and understand the statistical data that the CO Park and Wildlife puts out. It will help you eliminate units or give you units to start to look closer at.