Inexpensive 223 for varmints?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for an inexpensive .223 for Prarie Dogs & yotes in a Heavy Barrel configuration. Was hoping for something in the $500 range, but that may not be feasible, unless I get lucky & find something used.

Seems like the Remington 700 & Savage 10/110 are the least expensive? I have a 22-250 Savage 10/110 I like, but would like another as a backup and because. 223 ammo is usually cheaper.

Can't see if Ruger or any other company makes a heavy barrel worth looking at?

I have a Gen 1 Ruger American ranch rifle that was pretty inexpensive but it’s not a heavy barrel. It shoots much better than expected.

Honyock

WKR
Savage with the Accutrigger if you want a very accurate one. They are not going to win the beauty contest, but they are accurate straight out of the box. The 300 WSM and 6.5 Creedmoor that I have are more accurate than I am.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Totally not opposed to another Savage. I have several, love my 22-250 that's what I used last time. I'm not a huge fan of their new stock and kind of like the old, cheap one, the new one feels too blocky for me. Not opposed to it. Maybe I can find a decent used one.

Didn't know if there was something I was missing.

Unckebob

WKR
I am looking for a similar gun to practice on. After looking for used rifles, I am going to buy something on Black Friday if I see a good deal.

I am looking to get a Ruger American or Winchester XPR.

Loper

WKR
The Ruger American predators (Gen 1) aren’t a “heavy” barrel, but they are heavier than most sporter barrels and come threaded 5/8x24 if you have a suppressor.

SloppyJ

WKR
Tough one. Ruger predators seem to get good reviews. Most 110 savages would suit the bill. A tikka isn't too far out of your price range and would do it too. Think I got mine for around 660 shipped.

Personally, I'd shy away from the XPR.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Tough one. Ruger predators seem to get good reviews. Most 110 savages would suit the bill. A tikka isn't too far out of your price range and would do it too. Think I got mine for around 660 shipped.

Looking for a heavy bull barrel option close to the $500 mark. I think the Savage and the Rem 700 seem to be some of the more affordable options. (Which I don't mind because I have several Savages in sporter and heavy barrel options. Same with my 700s)

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider

Do you have any info you can share on the XPR?
I'm a lefty with limited options, and currently weighing a Ruger American Predator or Winchester XPR. Having never actually seen one in person, I prefer the idea of the locking bolt on the XPR, and the 20" threaded barrel vs a 22" on the American. However, I own many Rugers and have her to be disappointed.

SloppyJ

WKR
Do you have any info you can share on the XPR?
I'm a lefty with limited options, and currently weighing a Ruger American Predator or Winchester XPR. Having never actually seen one in person, I prefer the idea of the locking bolt on the XPR, and the 20" threaded barrel vs a 22" on the American. However, I own many Rugers and have her to be disappointed.

I don't have any experience with the XPR but I've been let down with the accuracy of my latest model 70 supergrade and have seen some interesting things posted about the XPRs. In my mind, if they can't get the supergrade M70 right, then I've lost a lot of hope for winchester. Now that's just a sample of one so take it with a grain of salt.

For that price, I'd build an AR or buy a used upper. The market is currently soft, so you can get a smoking deal, especially on bull barrel ARs. Compared to a $500 entry-level bolt-gun, I'd bet on a quality AR every time. As a bonus, you can upgrade it over time.

When it comes to bolt-action .223s, my logic is to do it right from the get-go. I get you don't want to spend a fortune, but they're delightful rifles when done right. Tikka is hard to beat. Sako or CZ are also great. But if accurate and heavy are all you desire, Savage will certainly perform well.