Index to a Thumb Release Draw Length?

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all was considering trying out a new thumb release and was curious for those that have switched if you had to change your draw length any to be in your sweet spot? Appreciate the input.

I switched from a Carter Quickie to a Carter Wise Choice this year and my draw length stayed the same. Some thumb releases are designed with a shorter neck though, and would lengthen your draw length by 1/2". It really depends on the release model.

horse43

FNG
Draw length wont change, but most likely you'll have to adjust your d-loop some to get the sweet spot. Index if you had it setup correctly will be about the same spot as you thumb.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Just like the others have said if you had your wrist release set up right (index finger not extended out when pulling the trigger) then the draw length should be the same. If you were one of those shooters that shot a wrist release where your index finger was extended out to pull the trigger then you will probably have to lengthen your draw length by 1/2".

OP
dzlfarmboy

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
Got a chance to try a few at Lancaster Archery, I like the Carter wise choice the most. Seemed like a solid setup.

Lytro

WKR
I've gone from a index release to a Nock2It in the past and my draw remained the same. I would imagine any change in length would be very minimal and you should be able to fix that by adjusting your D loop.

Gumbo

WKR
It might very well affect your anchor location, and therefore your peep height. Wise Choice/Nock2It are great releases, that is what I shoot.

Edit: Different head lengths on thumb releases (i.e. Wise Choice vs. Too Simple) will almost certainly affect either your D-loop or draw length in order to get you to the same anchor location. Also, if you are shooting a really long head (or less likely a REALLY short head length) on your wrist strap your draw length could very well be impacted. Finally, be aware that how you hold the thumb release will also affect your D-loop or draw length. A clenched fist requires a longer D-loop or longer draw to get to the same anchor than the more preferred flat release hand.

Last edited:
OP
dzlfarmboy

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my wise choice in and it's looking like about a 3/4" difference in my eyes. Which could work in my favor as I was looking to buy a used Prime CT5 that has a 28.5 draw length and im suppose to be a 28" Maybe they will cancel out I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 20