Index Release Command vs. Back Tension Style

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I recently switched arrows, while trying to dial my 20 yard pin I couldn’t quite get all my arrows to dial at 20 with a back tension style using my index release Carter Like Mike II. On my previous arrows I had this same issue using a Stan Perfex. When I switched to a Like Mike II I went back to using a command shot style and saw my groups instantly tighten up dramatically. Yesterday out frustration with trying to dial in my 20, I reverted back to command style and my 20 pin was instantly locked in. I used back tension during my tuning process to get bullets through paper but when dialing pins I’m allover the map but very accurate with a command style. I know it’s a reps thing that comes with practice but im
Interested if anyone else using a wrist release has encountered this same issue. Thanks.

I found that also. I shoot with my Stan SX3 unless dialing in a sight tape. For some reason just more steady with the Scott wrist strap. Luckily they shoot same point of aim. I still hunt with the Scott so I command style for that. If I use it too much I find I start freezing under the target which is no good. Shooting the thumb release brings me back into decent form. I only notice the difference in accuracy when shooting in the farther elevation on the sight tape at 60 or 80.

Marble

WKR
Without watching you shoot, I would guess you are coming out of the shot process with your back tension when shooting at a target. Basically meaning you are not shooting a controlled shot.

But some archhers can do that really well. Some of the top shooters shoot a button and absolutely control when the shot goes off.

If it isn't broke, I wouldn't mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I think it really is almost impossible to fire an index with pure back tension. If you used a hinge to pull through your accuracy would probably be comparable. However the few professionals that are able to mentally handle command shooting are extremely deadly.

wayoh22

WKR
Two different releases will have two different anchor points which means different impacts. Whether your grouping tightens up, widens up, or hits left or right is correlated to just that. I can shoot my hinge and nock-2-it with almost identical groupings now but at first the hinge would hit right mainly.

I think you just need more time with it. Takes a long time to get it right.

But I don't believe that you ever truly get a surprise shot, you need to spend months learning a release or spend thousands of shots on a style, but your mind is still learning it. You might not realize it, but your mind certainly does. It needs to be a relaxed, kinda subconscious release, unforced. You get to forcing the shot with any style and you will develop problems.

Changing your shooting style your scores will normally suffer for a bit, but when they start to climb back up again they will be better than they were before. Just need to stick it out, might be 3 months.

I don't shoot a wrist strap, I don't have enough control with my trigger finger, and dont care to spend the time to re-learn it. One of the top shooters in ASA open Pro and the IBO open pro is an index shooter, he just uses back tension to apply steady pressure for the shot. I know several others than handle it well.

CB4

WKR
Listen to the Kifarucast with Tim Gillingham that Aaron just did. They discuss punching the trigger and how it works for some people. I'm not through the follow up he did with Levi Morgan and Justin Hannah, but even Levi said he has to switch up releases often to stay consistent.

Do what works for you.

Marble

WKR
Listen to the Kifarucast with Tim Gillingham that Aaron just did. They discuss punching the trigger and how it works for some people. I'm not through the follow up he did with Levi Morgan and Justin Hannah, but even Levi said he has to switch up releases often to stay consistent.

Do what works for you.
I thought it was interesting to listen to. I think I'll need to listen again to listen to how Gillngham sets up his sights.

I carry a hinge and a button when I hunt and shoot 3ds. If it's windy, or a pretty decent uphill shot, I'll often pull out the button.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
More or less the same with me. I shoot a hinge for practice and most of the off-season, and then switch to a wrist strap for fall deer hunting. Whenever I first pick up the wrist strap I am dead eye dick! But too many reps with the wrist strap and I start to freeze up.

jmez

WKR
Just another form of target panic. HInge and thumb releases are very unforgiving to punching or drive by shooting. The worse you punch the better you will shoot an index.

Back tension is supposed to be king but coming from a shooting background it's still hard for me to wrap my head around. Still makes more sense to me that you want to isolate your trigger finger and concententrate on a smooth pull of the finger rather than trying to get that surprise release..., especially so on a wrist release. Chalk it up to inexperience.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Back tension is supposed to be king but coming from a shooting background it's still hard for me to wrap my head around. Still makes more sense to me that you want to isolate your trigger finger and concententrate on a smooth pull of the finger rather than trying to get that surprise release..., especially so on a wrist release. Chalk it up to inexperience.
I was military and now a LEO and I agree 100%.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I'll never understand the "surprise" release theory. I've shot long range rifles for years and I want the rifle to go bang when I want it to go bang. I use the same theory with archery. I use thumb releases and shot on command is the only way I can shoot accurately. That's probably why my favorite "pro" is Gillingham.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’m newer on the archery side as well, but I’ll say you guys that mentioned the comparison to shooting are spot on. When someone is first learning to shoot a handgun or rifle, a surprise break may be useful to help overcome “anticipating the shot” or “flinching” which are essentially symptoms of the firearms version of “target panic”.

But, after those initial learning stages you reach a point when you are not worried about recoil, you know what an acceptable amount of “sight wobble” is, and you switch to 100 percent command style shooting. Any high level shooter that has worked in a police or military capacity will tell you that when lives are on the line, breaking a shot exactly when you want to is critical.

Same way for bow hunting. If you want to hit an animal exactly right when you have a narrow window of time, a good smooth, but quick, pull of a trigger helps that a lot. A very light crisp trigger makes that easier.

I really think most of the hinge/back tension releases are a way of masking a flaw in shooting technique rather than fixing it. Just a band-aid and not a complete cure.