Indecision paralysis which cartridge on which receiver/stock?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
This may be a dumb question for you master sporter fans... but what discipline was the master sporter stock designed for? I've always thought they looked neat but they don't seem to match any other stock designs that I've seen and I could never figure out where they fit in.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
This may be a dumb question for you master sporter fans... but what discipline was the master sporter stock designed for? I've always thought they looked neat but they don't seem to match any other stock designs that I've seen and I could never figure out where they fit in.
I’m glad you asked, I am wondering the same.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

A general idea-

max-x

FNG
The shape came from CISM/ Club shooting competition design development in the 70's. The competition style never really caught on in North America, but the AMU among others did head overseas to compete.

You'll see that there are more commonalities than differences in stock design in the 70s and 80s between Anschutz, Tanner, Sig (STR200), CG (CG80/FSR89), Unique, Hammerli, and others, and those shapes became useful for Running Boar/ Running Moose as well.

In a way it does go back to whoever it was who bolted on a second piece of wood to the grips of their M96 for the Feldskytte/ Stangskytte and then it just progressed from there through the M28-76, CG63/CG80, etc.

The Finns in general caught on early to stock ergonomics and have really been frontrunners of design since the 70's

max-x

FNG
For a real mind bender, check out the M65A

Here we think 'modular chassis' designs just arrived in the 2020's...

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
The shape came from CISM/ Club shooting competition design development in the 70's. The competition style never really caught on in North America, but the AMU among others did head overseas to compete.

You'll see that there are more commonalities than differences in stock design in the 70s and 80s between Anschutz, Tanner, Sig (STR200), CG (CG80/FSR89), Unique, Hammerli, and others, and those shapes became useful for Running Boar/ Running Moose as well.

In a way it does go back to whoever it was who bolted on a second piece of wood to the grips of their M96 for the Feldskytte/ Stangskytte and then it just progressed from there through the M28-76, CG63/CG80, etc.

The Finns in general caught on early to stock ergonomics and have really been frontrunners of design since the 70's
I'm familiar with the CG63... there was an outfit up here that sold imported models for a very reasonable price... although a can see why a lot of them were listed as having a "dark bore". As for the rest of the models you listed I now have another rabbit hole to research..lol

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
@Bluumoon do you mind sharing where you found your master sporter? They’re as rare as hens teeth and I’d like to find one.

I’ve been told I have a one track mind at times… Have been keeping an eye out for one off and on for a couple years. Gunbroker, gunsinternational, deep into the pages of google search. A smarter guy could probably set up alerts on gunbroker or guns international.

Also, on the latest shoot2hunt podcast they discussed Tikka opening a program where you can order whatever you want that they make, just takes 8 months. Pretty sure they still make a MS
Thanks for the heads up, if I can’t find a used one I’ll reach out!

Edit: looks like the new ones go for about 4K. Would probably just get an AI for that price.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the heads up, if I can’t find a used one I’ll reach out!

Edit: looks like the new ones go for about 4K. Would probably just get an AI for that price.

The new version of the Master Sporter is around $1500- not $4k.

I bought one about 20 years ago in 22/250, it was a police sniper rifle from a neighbor state, I doubt it had fired 100 rounds, it was ridiculously accurate but it just didn’t grab me
I would take a standard H.B rifle any day