In search of hunting optic

doughnut

FNG
Currently in search of a hunting optic. I have been around the world and back in my search. I have googled many times over the past week. I have read many reviews and seen many opinions on countless forums. Just when I think I have my mind made up I read something that changes my mind. This scope will be used for hunting white tail deer. I am a casual hunter that goes 4-5 times a month during season. Not a professional by any means.

I think I know what I want.
-SFP- because I will be hunting in heavily wooded areas, and I want to be able to easily see reticle in low light situations.
-2x to 3x on lower end/ upper end no more than 16x. 12x would probably be ideal on upper end. Most shots will be within 150 yards, but I do have opportunities to shoot out to 400 yards.
-Capped windage turret
-Exposed and reliable elevation turret (prefer dialing elevation for longer shots)
-Zero stop on elevation would be nice.
-Mil adjustments would be ideal, but I can live with MOA

Optical quality is not of the most importance considering the ranges I will be shooting. Reliable tracking and zero retention are. I would prefer to keep the budget under $1000. This scope will be going on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that is capable of shooting 1 MOA. Leupold VX-5hd 3-15 seems to be the ideal scope for what I am looking for, but many folks do not favor Leupold because of their inability to reliably track. Then again other say they have not had any problems. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Honyock

WKR
Zeiss Conquest V4 would be my choice. Check the demos (open box) on Europtics or Red Hawk Rifles and you will be well under your $1,000.00 budget. I have three V4s and have no complaints.

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
Here you go. You're welcome
Thanks Axlrod,
I've read through a couple of the evaluations today along with other threads on the forum. From everything I've have gathered so far it seems to be the general consensus among many on the forum that if you want a dependable dialing scope that returns to zero and holds zero that I need to be looking at SWFA, Trijicon, or Nightforce. I remember the SWFA from Tiborasaurusrex on YouTube. He always had good things to say about them.

I haven't tested it out yet, but after doing a lot of research, I ended up buying a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15. Checked a lot of boxes for me and might be worth a look for you. $875 on Europtic.

Michael54

WKR
What gun are you shooting that you have to elevation dial for a 400 yard shot???

amassi

WKR
I haven't tested it out yet, but after doing a lot of research, I ended up buying a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15. Checked a lot of boxes for me and might be worth a look for you. $875 on Europtic.
$750 in the classified right now

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Years back Leuplod became famous for the “tap” as you adjust. Myself and several other family members and friends all use the Vx5hd and have never tapped and have never had any issues even while shooting extended ranges. A couple of my buddys shoot competitions and swear by the 5hd.
Just my .02 but I think you are on the right track.

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
What gun are you shooting that you have to elevation dial for a 400 yard shot???
As stated in my original post it is a ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor. I am shooting hornady 143gr eld-x ammo. Rifle is sighted in @ 100 yards. Current scope is a leupold vx-freedom 3-9x with a simple duplex reticle.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I know its an unpopular opinion on this forum and by shooters with way better creds than I have, but I love my leupold vx5 s and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
Years back Leuplod became famous for the “tap” as you adjust. Myself and several other family members and friends all use the Vx5hd and have never tapped and have never had any issues even while shooting extended ranges. A couple of my buddys shoot competitions and swear by the 5hd.
Just my .02 but I think you are on the right track.
I know its an unpopular opinion on this forum and by shooters with way better creds than I have, but I love my leupold vx5 s and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another
I have been looking at them hard.

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
That was my first thought too. Heck, I'm consistently hitting 800 yard target with my AR10 in .308 with a 1X8 Accupower. https://www.trijicon.com/discontinued-products/details/rs27-c-1900026
I imagine y'all are using the reticle? That is all well and good. I've practiced doing the same on my range optic (Arken with mil Christmas tree), but I still prefer dialing and why not have the option to do both? Why buy a scope with crappy turrets that will not reliably track and return to zero?

It is heavily wooded in my area, and not everyone has the opportunity to shoot 400 yards while hunting. So to some 400 yards is a long shot on an animal. I was in the same train of thought until I started practicing at longer ranges only to discover that it is not that difficult. Heck at one time if it was much over 100 yards I would not take the shot. Then I moved up to 200. Now I would like to stretch it out to 3/400.

So now I am on the hunt for a hunting scope that will set me up for success.

Michael54

WKR
I imagine y'all are using the reticle? That is all well and good. I've practiced doing the same on my range optic (Arken with mil Christmas tree), but I still prefer dialing and why not have the option to do both? Why buy a scope with crappy turrets that will not reliably track and return to zero?

It is heavily wooded in my area, and not everyone has the opportunity to shoot 400 yards while hunting. So to some 400 yards is a long shot on an animal. I was in the same train of thought until I started practicing at longer ranges only to discover that it is not that difficult. Heck at one time if it was much over 100 yards I would not take the shot. Then I moved up to 200. Now I would like to stretch it out to 3/400.

So now I am on the hunt for a hunting scope that will set me up for success.
Im not bashing you. Its your hunting style and your money. Im just used to a 200yd zero allowing me to put my crosshairs even on the back and pulling the trigger at 400. So i was genuinely curious if there is a specific caliber that has that much drop that dialing is needed. But i practice like that. I have the plastic campaign yard signs that i stick out on the farm between 200 and 400yds. As far as scopes go i'm currently using a meopta meopro and like it a lot. But both windage and elevation are capped and not really set for dialing.

Same here. Zero at 200 and use the reticle to quickly holdover on greater distances...in hunting scenarios you may have seconds to get a shot off. Doping a scope isn't always possible. But you can still do it with a decent LPVO. Even my 45-70 Govt is topped with a BDC scope for quick shots.

morgaj1

WKR

Honyock

WKR
I think the scope in the link below would be perfect for what you are looking for. I have 3 of them and am very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Europtic and Red Hawk Rifles demo prices are hard to beat. I've bought "demos" from both and they've been open box/brand new.

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
I think the scope in the link below would be perfect for what you are looking for. I have 3 of them and am very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have looked over all of Trijicons offerings many time. They have several that are very close to what I'm looking for, but none exactly like what I'm looking for. If only I could piece a few of their offerings together.

I like the Trijicon Credo 2.5-10x56 SFP w/ Green MRAD Ranging for the price of $519 new, but I just cant get over the 56mm objective.

OP
D

doughnut

FNG
If it was 2.5x10 or 12 I would not hesitate. Like I mentioned earlier Trijicon has several scopes that are really close to what I want, but for every one they offer I have to make a compromise of some kind. Would not mind a higher magnification if it was a ffp scope with a useable reticle at low power in low light.