In search for binos.

Over the last couple months, I've been searching for my first set of good binos. Attached is a list I compiled of various makes and models with their magnification, objective size, weight, and approximate new price. The list certainly isn't all-inclusive, but it could give you some options to explore in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread.

After a lot of reading here and elsewhere, I concluded that 8-10x magnification and a 42-50mm objective would be about right for my needs (freehand use while bowhunting for elk in mixed open/forested terrain). I decided to target a mid-range model ($500-1000) and just this week pulled the trigger on a set of used Styrka S7 10x42s posted for sale here on Rokslide. I suppose time will tell if I made a good decision, but I'll undoubtedly be able to see better than on my previous hunts, which have all been sans binos.

Attachments

• Bino List.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

czim

FNG
The sigs are also pretty good for the money. The zulu5, 7, and 9 all have a 10x so depending on your budget you pick the cost. I have the Zulu 9 11x45 and love them.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure what to buy. Read a lot on meostar they seem to have great reviews. Also on vortex hd binos. Anyone suggest anything else?
I really like my Swarovski binos I run the el 10x42 but yes the price is hefty and also do what works for your budget. the swaro slc 10x42 are amazing for the price also I tell everyone buy once cry once your binos are a lifetime investment you will always upgrade a cheap pair and they may work for a couple years but yes you will upgrade and by the time you spend the money on two or three you could have bought the 1 and been done. if you have any questions on why swaro or even ziess or leica let me know and I will get you all the details between and even vortex or maven I will give you the run down on them and the differences.

I am currently demoing a pair of Maven B2s they are VERY impressive. In my opinion they fall barely short of Swaro SLC mainly in depth of field, they are not as forgiving with focus, but otherwise a great option. Best I’ve looked through in the price range.

OP
J

Jean

FNG
I went on their website seen that. The other guy on here mention that. I'm open minded still. Thanks for your comment 🇺🇸🇺🇸

JNDEER

WKR
Exactly what Scott said. If you are a serious hunter and use your binos a lot you will always find a way to want "more." The only point I feel a person can say they are close enough to the best are the binos in the $1k range.

OP
J

Jean

FNG
Thanks , this forum has helped. A lot of great sides. One wouldnt think in binos like y'all do but its great to get this feedback from guy that have done it for a while.

elkguide

WKR
Let me be upfront and say that I am a Swarovski fanboy all the way.

After trying to get by with a "less expensive" pair of binoculars the first year that I guided, I couldn't work enough overtime to save my pennies for a pair of high end binoculars. The 10X42 Swaros ended my headaches after spending 8+ hours glassing a day and also told me what I was looking at way better than anything else. I sold several of my hunters on them after glassing elk a long ways away and telling my hunter that the elk on the right was a bull and they, after glassing through their other brand binos would say, no way can you tell that. I would hand them my Swaros and they would quickly respond, I've got to have a pair of those!

OP
J

Jean

FNG
Nice. Elk hunting is on my list. I'll look into this for sure. Thanks

brmtn

WKR
No affiliation but theres a nice pair of Swaro 7x42s and a couple of SLCs (10s and 8s I think) in the optics classifieds presently. If I didnt already have two 7x42s I would surely pick up those Swaros... Alpha quality for $750.

Cheers and good luck.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes those 7x42 Swaro Bono’s are a real. I’ve had a pair for over 25 years. Sent them back to Swaro last year and they completely re did them and also upgraded the glass to s new generation for less than $150. I personally use my 10x42 el Swaro mostly but thinking about selling them to use the 7x42’s for field of view and back pack with my 10x32 el’s.

Not sure what to buy. Read a lot on meostar they seem to have great reviews. Also on vortex hd binos. Anyone suggest anything else?

I have the Vortex hd 10x50 binos. I like them a lot - they're a good sweet spot in Vortex's line for price vs. performance.
I also just read one great article about good binoculars that you may want to check out.
https://opticsaddict.com/binoculars/

Last edited: