I'm not a trophy hunter. Where should I be looking?

To get good at killing mule deer, one needs to kill mule deer. I am looking into areas in colorado that will provide decent hunting opportunities on a yearly to bi yearly basis while I acquire experience. Even if I did draw a bad ass tag I don't have the experience to make the most of it.

Here is what I am looking for:
1. Relatively few points to draw (0-3)
2. Wilderness access
3. A hunt able population of mulies. Any buck over 130" I'd be very happy with.
4. Early season (archery or first rifle) Spot and stalk style hunts. Doesn't have to be timber line hunts, but that would be nice.

I live in Texas so an area closer to the south would allow more time for scouting and hunting.

I've looked at a few areas, weminuche, south san juan, hunter frying pan, holy cross, lizard head, but I don't know which area would be the best for what I'm looking for. So many options! Where should I be researching? Not looking for honey holes because I want to find my own.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not savvy to the southern portion of the state, would really love to hunt some of it though.

I have experience around Silverthorne. Every unit around there is a good place, tons of NF and wilderness to choose from and plenty of deer.

To the north, GMU 14 has a great deer population (at least before this winter) and is almost entirely NF and wilderness.

Look into the early season rifle tags. They are buck only in select portions of wilderness areas. It will be slim pickings for a non-res to get any if those regularly, but worth looking into.

Ive spent some time working in Units 79, 80, and 76 but never hunted them. 76 will take some years to draw but unit 79 and 80 should be extremely good odds. I would recommend 80 for opportunity and deer density, and 79 for better quality. The problem with 80 is that there is a ton of access into high country. But, usually if you find the willows up high, you find the deer. Its a big unit with pretty diverse terrain.