if you're using Nalgene Cantene's- be careful

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a 48 oz Nalgene Cantene that I brought on a week long backpacking trip into the Sierra's last summer and a buddy noticed there was some water leaking onto my pack. I had the Cantene in an outer pocket and discovered it had a small leak near the top of the bottle- if the bottle got squeezed it would leak some water. I kept using it and if I filled 3/4 of the way and was careful not squeeze it, it did OK.

When I got home, I rechecked the leak and decided to just toss it.

A couple of weeks ago I had another Cantene on a 5 day trip in Arizona, again a buddy noticed leaking on my pack- the culprit- a 32 oz cantene, again in a side pocket. Leaking at exactly the same spot and again, just a minor leak.

Anyways, I've just gone ahead and will now use regular Nalgenes. The weight savings over the Lightweight Nalgenes isn't a lot and I've never had one leak (including dozens of heated ones in my sleeping bag on extra cold nights).

Here is where they both leaked (could be the other side, just drew one arrow)

5FRkjY4.jpg

Yup

Thx for the heads up

I’ve been a Nalgene bottle user & looks like I’ll be staying a bottle user (although I am getting the lighter Nalgene hard bottles). Buddies had those softies last year and I didn’t quite understand the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Thanks for the heads up x2. I had picked one up thinking it would be a good packable water container for use around camp. I'll definitely keep an eye on it when it goes in the pack traveling to and fro.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a couple of different ones over the last 2-3 years without incident, but having two fail in under a years time- has made me a little skittish :)

I can't see your pic, but assume it's the HDPE one. My first two HDPE's leaked, and I asked about it here, and no one else had that problem. My #3 didn't leak.

ETA: I now see it’s a soft Nalgene. Never had one leak but I see how they could.

Last edited:

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I used those for a few years but was always worried about durability. Some things aren't worth trying to save weight on.

Had one leak on me along the outer seam on a sheep hunt this past summer. Was able to use a lighter to melt / reform the problem area. But wasn’t a fan of losing a day’s worth of water!

bpietila

FNG
I use one in winter time. Fill it about halfway and loop it on to my bibs under my parka. I like it since I can add snow to it and body heat will melt the snow. Also the wide mouth is good for adding snow. I will definitely be watching for leaks. Anybody have a good way to keep water wet in below zero temps?

eamyrick

WKR
Thanks. Every bag type bottle I’ve had has found a way to leak but trusty hard side Nalgenes are pretty indestructible. Water is not an area I’m willing to sacrifice.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Every bag type bottle I’ve had has found a way to leak but trusty hard side Nalgenes are pretty indestructible. Water is not an area I’m willing to sacrifice.

there's not another bottle I'd trust putting hot water in and stuffing it in my sleeping bag :D

Blackcow

WKR
I bought one last year, leaked, they replaced it, it started leaking too. Ditched the canteen and went back to a ultralite or smart water. I thought about trying a Cnoc, but really, I don’t need my bottle to collapse. Dirty bag or bladder okay. But the bottle I try to keep filled anyway.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Guess I'm not the only one. I'm confident that Nalgene would have replaced the bottles, which good on them, but if you have no confidence in the bottle................

Good to know on those bag bottles, thanks Warden. I have an entire stable of the hard bottle Nalgenes, and a few of those leak at the lid too. I’ve marked them as leakers and don’t use them hunting but I swear every time I put one in the bottom of my sleeping bag I hear a little voice in my head “Are you sure you didn’t grab the leaky bottle?”

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Knock on wood I've never had a hard bottle leak. I did have a cap that got partially melted in the dishwasher and wouldn't thread worth a hoot (and could have caused a leak), was able to get a replacement and was good to go

When I go to put one in my bag, I check the cap about 4 or 5 times (turn it upside down and give a shake) :ROFLMAO:

musty

FNG
Those canteens make great whiz jugs. So you don't have to get out of your sleeping bag to take a leak in the middle of the night. Guess I'll have to check mine for leaks. That would be a disaster

After a leak in a cantene, I have these and like them so far:

I love the heavy duty dromedary for a truck/basecamp back but these light weight ones are still pretty darn beefy.

Looks like a light nalgene bottle is 3.75oz and the Dromlite bags are 2L/4L/6L = 4.6oz/5.1oz/5.7oz.

Last edited:

KingGus

WKR
I've never had an issue with the Platy 2l bottles, even with years of use. Great for ultralight hunts, I'm 99% sure they're the lightest water-carrying device out there, could be wrong.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup- have never had an issues with leaking of any my .5/1/2 liter Platy bottles. I just like the wider mouth, especially in the late Fall/Winter- frozen openings in the Platy's aren't fun to deal with. The wider mouth also allows the use of a Steripen.

MattB

WKR
I have had good luck with my Platypus big zip bladders. Their openings are bigger than the Nalgene and once upon a time in a bad situation it was able to get water from a trickle coming down a rock where a stiff mouth wouldn’t have worked. They’ve all eventually leaked but I’ve got years of use before that happened. Even then some duct tape will usually get me through a trip until I can get a replacement.