If you were a NR starting from 0...

Like others have said, hunt some cows a few places. It will get you some experience. Also start applying. If you have the funds go guided and shorten some of the learning curve.

If you haven't been west at all, schedule a vacation next September somewhere you'd like to hunt, go camp, hike, and enjoy while also scouting. This will give you a year of buying some gear and dip your toes into the hunting side of things. It will also give you an idea of the fitness needed and where you are at in that area.

There is in shape and then there is "elk shape." Now this will vary based on the type of hunt and terrain but you can very quickly discover that you thought you were in shape, but day 3 of climbing and moving all day, your body starts to tell you otherwise!

Marble

WKR
If you were a NR, starting from 0 for elk hunting, how would you approach getting tags, and how would you start? Guide? DIY? Pick a state/zone and fly out and scout it for a couple of years before tying to pull a tag? Go right into the general draws? Start banking PP?

My wife and I have decided to try to make an elk hunt happen in the next 3-4 years, and it looks like this is something that takes a fair amount of planning for a NR. I've been sifting through info and forums and YT videos for a few days now and the amount of information and considerations is kind of overwhelming. I thought I had a little bit of a handle on preference points, and then I see states where people have 20+ PP saved up, which just blows my mind. We are not new to hunting (25+ years of whitetail in MI for each of us) but have absolutely no experience with Elk or western states. Will probably have to be rifle since my shoulder strongly protests drawing a compound, and she switched to a crossbow to share when the kids got old enough to hunt so we weren't having to buy new bows/arrows every 2 years for the kids.
It doesn't take as much planning as you think. If you camp and hunt now, it's the same thing but in another location. You do not have to pack in or go way deep. It can and does help, but most of my bulls are less than 4 miles from the trailhead.

Pick a state that is OTC, if you have any connections there then call and get advice from someone. If not, pick a trail you can hop on and go.

There is not always a next time. Life is short and unpredictable. Don't wait until the time is perfect. It will never be perfect. Just go. Go screw a bunch of stuff up and learn. Most guys take YEARS to kill an elk.

I hunt a very low success area that is over the counter. In 22 years, 3 times I haven't filled my tag. 1 year I missed twice and passed up 6 bulls. I was going through cancer treatment and only hunted half the time. Another I made a poor choice but not shooting a cow and a bull, the other was my first year.

4 years from now you'll have 3 years experience and will be able to apply it to a decent tag.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
H
Like others have said, hunt some cows a few places. It will get you some experience. Also start applying. If you have the funds go guided and shorten some of the learning curve.

If you haven't been west at all, schedule a vacation next September somewhere you'd like to hunt, go camp, hike, and enjoy while also scouting. This will give you a year of buying some gear and dip your toes into the hunting side of things. It will also give you an idea of the fitness needed and where you are at in that area.

There is in shape and then there is "elk shape." Now this will vary based on the type of hunt and terrain but you can very quickly discover that you thought you were in shape, but day 3 of climbing and moving all day, your body starts to tell you otherwise!
Is there a significant difference between August and September? (I'm assuming there is for animal behavior based on our wt expereince, but for scouting probably not?) We have 4 kids, and their sports schedule is pretty crammed, and August would work way better.

"In shape" is definitely a factor. The wife started running marathons a couple of years ago, so I'm actually less concerned for her than myself. We do have a fairly technical hiking trail an hour or so drive away that would probably be good practice too.

cnelk

WKR
If you're interested in Colorado, Archery season starts on Sept 2 and there are rifle seasons until late November - so many choices

OP
H
I really appreciate the replies you all have shared. I'm not new to special-interest forums and I know how often the newbie posts crop up, but also that there's usually a section of people who are willing to answer the basic questions over and over and over. Using OTC cow tags to learn on seems like a good option, as does shelling out for guided to have some training wheels for a first hunt (although I feel like that might spoil us :LOL: )

Don’t mind F the process into becoming overwhelming- and in turn- unenjoyable.
3–4 years, especially if this is a one and done bucket list type hunt… buy points for a few years, go to Colorado and hire a guide. Beautiful country, good guide should get you some opportunities.

Mojave

WKR
Serious approach.

Do research via Gohunt and use Onx to verify maps. Apply for those tags that are in the 1-8% draw as a party. Do that in every Western State.

Seriously.

You need to apply for as many tags in as many states as possible.

I mean every state, OR, WA, ID, NV, UT, CO, MT, WY, AZ.

A better plan is to buy land owner hunts.

Mojave

WKR
Know this, there is no secret undiscovered unit. It's been a 30 plus year program on states, access, points, and non-resident build up.

A hundred thousand other hunters have gone on to do this, and have had epic failure.

Don't get tied up on have 10 points or 20 points and think you will get a 360 bull on the first day. You might have 20 points in a tag and wolves, weather, drought, access or something else might screw up that unit for the year.

Alberta and British Columbia are really good options.

https://worldwidetrophyadventures.com/species/elk/ Use the sorting tool to get rid of the non-draw hunts.

There are some huge game ranches in Saskatchewan where you could shoot a 30 point wall hanger, and have a lot of fun. For the same price as a lot of failed elk hunts in the Rockies.

nphunter

WKR
Lots of yearly hunting available across the west. Some better than others but it’s all elk hunting. You could easily buy points in a couple of states and still hunt bulls every year with a rifle or bow. No reason to spend thousands applying in every state.

I'd suggest that it depends on your longer term goals. Do you want to hunt for a number of years, albeit, maybe not every year? If so, I think a OTC, diy hunt in Colorado would let you get your feet wet and start to narrow down your preferences. If you want to do this only a couple times over the course of years, then a private land landowner tag guided hunt would be my thought.
What he said. If you want to start elk hunting every year or few years just go do it pick a spot in Colorado and go hunt you'll learn way more in that week than watching videos. Also the gear thing everyone loves new gear but don't let that hold you back camp by the truck the first few times and you can take heavier bulkier gear that cost way less and just go

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Is there a significant difference between August and September? (I'm assuming there is for animal behavior based on our wt expereince, but for scouting probably not?) We have 4 kids, and their sports schedule is pretty crammed, and August would work way better.

"In shape" is definitely a factor. The wife started running marathons a couple of years ago, so I'm actually less concerned for her than myself. We do have a fairly technical hiking trail an hour or so drive away that would probably be good practice too.
It depends. . . If you just want to get a feel for the mountains and maybe see some elk or elk sign, you can sure go in August and have a look around. It never hurts to go find elk! Look at old sign, find fresh sign, and find elk (the freshest sign!). But in many areas where elk are in early to mid August are not the same places they will be in September (when you can archery hunt). Now that will vary from place to place and some may say otherwise for their areas, but from my experience if you find solid elk sign in September (wallows, rubs, bull sign) many times you can head back to that spot year after year and have elk activity in the same general area.

But do what works for you. If it works best for your first time to go in august. . . Then go in august. Learn to cow call and take one along and see if you can get some talking. Go now and download the elknut app and start learning vocalizations. Going in September just helps if you plan for archery season if that's something you plan to doz and find their hide outs and escape routes.

My best advice is just start obsessing over elk and elk hunting! It's a giant rabbit hole to fall into, take the leap and don't look back!

OXN939

WKR
I really appreciate the replies you all have shared. I'm not new to special-interest forums and I know how often the newbie posts crop up, but also that there's usually a section of people who are willing to answer the basic questions over and over and over. Using OTC cow tags to learn on seems like a good option, as does shelling out for guided to have some training wheels for a first hunt (although I feel like that might spoil us :LOL: )

I see a lot of suggestions to do a cow hunt because the tags are easier to draw and it's generally an easier hunt, as it doesn't involve passing a bunch of animals trying to find one that's legal or one you "like." Unless you have a mentor or someone to show you the ropes in person, though, a DIY cow elk hunt will still be a hell of a learning curve.

I highly suggest doing some research and getting a guide who comes with a long list of good feedback, and then asking a million questions on that hunt. It'll be worth your money and more.

Sadler

WKR
Start putting in for everything you can and if you don’t draw, get a bear tag and go hunt them. You’ll be in the same areas as the elk so you can essentially scout for elk while you’re hunting bears.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Decide what you want out of elk hunting. There are people that hunt elk and there are elk hunters. The elk hunters obsess all year round non stop thinking about the next hunt planning and any aspect of the hunt. If you just want to go have a good chance of shooting an elk every now and again, pay a guide that is an elk hunter to get you on elk. It’s a passion, love hate relationship with lots of hate for some of us. The reward out of all the work is definitely worth it. You have to weigh your options and values of what you want to gain out of your hunting trip.

hobbes

WKR
It's stated above, but do you want to become an elk hunter or do you just want a bull for the wall. A guided hunt is your surest bet at an elk for the wall but if you want to become an elk hunter..........start hunting elk. Apply all you want wherever you want but that isn't a requirement for becoming an elk hunter. Buy all the new gear that you want but it's not required to become an elk hunter. The only thing required is to start hunting elk.

Considering the overall costs of driving from Michigan to the mountains, food on the trip, lodging during the drive, new gear that may or may not be needed, groceries, and whatever miscellaneous cash you spend......the difference between the cost of an either sex and cow tag isn't that much. I'd buy the either sex and hunt elk and only buy a cow tag if that's all you can draw.

Decide what you want out of elk hunting. There are people that hunt elk and there are elk hunters. The elk hunters obsess all year round non stop thinking about the next hunt planning and any aspect of the hunt. If you just want to go have a good chance of shooting an elk every now and again, pay a guide that is an elk hunter to get you on elk. It’s a passion, love hate relationship with lots of hate for some of us. The reward out of all the work is definitely worth it. You have to weigh your options and values of what you want to gain out of your hunting trip.
This! On the first day of an elk hunt I start planning next year’s elk hunt. It’s truly a never ending cycle.

Lots of good advice here.

Another option that I haven't seen brought up is drop camps. A couple of my friends do this regularly and they couldn't be happier. Saves on gear and good outfitters will help you along on where to look and with getting an animal out.

I've heard some bad stories about outfitters dropping hunters in bad spots while guided hunters get the prime locations, so like everything, buyer beware; do some research, call some references if you you think it's an option that might be right for you. Most offer summer day trips to their camps, so could be a good way to try before you buy on a summer vacation.

Otherwise, if you're willing to work at it, success can be had in easier to draw and OTC units. The experience is still well worth the effort. Call and email the local biologists and wardens in areas you'd like to hunt. They can help you narrow down a season and good access points. One of my favorite areas in an easy to draw unit was found based on a tip from a biologist.