Ideas for lightweight rem 700 300wm

Have remington 700 sendro, the original model and I want to lighten her up. Been packing her around for about 15 years here in NM. Was looking at carbon wrapped barrels. But I don't have much experience with them, are they worth the 3 to 400 more for a blank. I mean accuracy wise? Any stock suggestions? I would like a dbm setup. Would like to try and keep it around $1200 -1500 for the project. Let me know what you think.

BAKPAKR

WKR
How light are you wanting to make it? My Remington 700 in 30 Nosler with a 24” Bartlein 3 barrel (1.5” shank) and an Allterra Arms stock (it weighed 27-28 oz. before painting, pillars, and bedding) weighs just under 7.5 pounds bare.

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Sako finnlight in 300 wsm. That’s what I use and it’s pretty light and well made!

LightFoot

WKR
Have remington 700 sendro, the original model and I want to lighten her up. Been packing her around for about 15 years here in NM. Was looking at carbon wrapped barrels. But I don't have much experience with them, are they worth the 3 to 400 more for a blank. I mean accuracy wise? Any stock suggestions? I would like a dbm setup. Would like to try and keep it around $1200 -1500 for the project. Let me know what you think.
For 1200-1500, I'd buy a new rifle in 300 Win. You can get a Tikka Superlight or Wideland/Alpine Veil for that and save a few pounds. Browning Hell's Canyon Speed is another lightweight options in that $ range.

If you only want to upgrade you 700, there are a few companies that rebarrel and restock for about $1500 I think.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

When I lighten mine up, 90s serial # ADL, I started with a AG Composite carbon fiber stock then I fluted the factory barrel. I am right at 8lbs with a Swaro z5i 50mm, 3 rounds and a sling. Recoil actually feels less with a good stock compared to that Tupperware crap that came on it.

letrbuck

WKR
Is the current barrel spent? If not an option would be sending it to LRI and fluting in murder hornet or pattern X and replacing the stock with an AG, iota, Peak44 etc.

OP
O
I like the rem 700 it has been good and taken everything from pronghorn, oryx to elk. Barrel is getting long in the teeth. But I can't lie I also like the idea building a unique rifle. 7.5 to 9 lbs seems to be the heaviest I want to go with scope included. I am a remington or 700 fan. But the new rifles they are spitting out seem like junk. So I thought why not just upgrade it myself. Have any of you guys had experience with carbon wrapped barrels? I was looking at them or something like a bartlien #3 with maybe some fluting. Stocks are hard, some many options and long lead times. I have found some take offs or people selling once they have upgraded. But long action qaulity used stocks seem to be less common on the forums. I was also intrigued by the stockys vg2. But I am not sure they have it with the m5 magazine inlet. It mentions it in the description but there is no option once you are looking to order. Hit me with some ideas.

When I lighten mine up, 90s serial # ADL, I started with a AG Composite carbon fiber stock then I fluted the factory barrel. I am right at 8lbs with a Swaro z5i 50mm, 3 rounds and a sling. Recoil actually feels less with a good stock compared to that Tupperware crap that came on it.
Stocks mean a lot to felt recoil. With a High Tech Specialties (Bansner) stock on my M98 action 25" bbl 35 Whelen AI, lightweight hinged floor plate bottom metal and magazine box with a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10 it is 8lbs 3oz all up. 250 gr bullets at 2700 fps are not bad for a range session.

The High Tech stock is way better on felt recoil than the wood stock that came with the rifle before I built it into the AI.

AllPNW

FNG
I had a similar scenario. I built a Remington 700 RUM with Sendero barrel and a decent scope. It is quite the rife and shoots very flat. But not ideal for long back county miles and elevation. Rather than making some modifications I found a very nice Tikka T3 300WSM with scope for around $650. I do like to have options in the safe though.

OP
O
For 1200-1500, I'd buy a new rifle in 300 Win. You can get a Tikka Superlight or Wideland/Alpine Veil for that and save a few pounds. Browning Hell's Canyon Speed is another lightweight options in that $ range.

If you only want to upgrade you 700, there are a few companies that rebarrel and restock for about $1500 I think.

Do youbhave links to any of these companies? Would be interested to look them up?

LightFoot

WKR
Do youbhave links to any of these companies? Would be interested to look them up?

I have never used OMR nor have I had any experience with them beyond my Google search.

I still think you should buy a second rifle.

OP
O
Is the current barrel spent? If not an option would be sending it to LRI and fluting in murder hornet or pattern X and replacing the stock with an AG, iota, Peak44 etc.

Man looked at LRIs fluting and they have some great looking patterns. Does the claim of no accuracy decrease really hold up with some of the really deep aggressive patterns?

OP
O
I almost would like a 300wsm or 7mm rem mag, but with loading components being so hard to find and nor outrageously priced. I was leaning towards just taking some weight off the old girl and giving her a new barrel in the process. I do see what you are saying though. You have any thoughts on lightweight scope with ffp and moa reticle/ turrets?

I have never used OMR nor have I had any experience with them beyond my Google search.

I still think you should buy a second rifle.

LightFoot

WKR
I almost would like a 300wsm or 7mm rem mag, but with loading components being so hard to find and nor outrageously priced. I was leaning towards just taking some weight off the old girl and giving her a new barrel in the process. I do see what you are saying though. You have any thoughts on lightweight scope with ffp and moa reticle/ turrets?
For lightweight FFP, I think the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 and the NF NX8 2.5-20x50 are the best right now.

I used to have a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 FFP MOA that I took out to 1000 at a shooting school. I would be comfortable with one of those again.

The new Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 looks like a good option.

Lots of guys hate on Vortex but my experiences have been positive. I have the SFP LHT 3-15x42 on a 300 WSM. Only reason I got rid of it is because I hated the reticle.

I have a SWFA 6x42 MOA-QUAD that, for the money, is awesome. That would be an good budget option for a lightweight build.

Lightweight and FFP usually don't exist in the same optic.

TheViking

WKR
I’d look at Trijicon TenMile HX 3-18x44 as well.

Excellent scope. 24 oz’s

FFP MOA

Really nice glass!!

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Carbon barrels are hit and miss. It is just adding another process which can obviously mess things up. I have heard a couple of horror stories but I would say 95% of them shoot great! They do look better than steel barrels IMO but they also cost more. For stock/chassis upgrades I think you know who I would suggest there.... In all seriousness, the feel of the ergo grip that we offer for the chassis does have a similar feel to the bigger grip on the Sendaros. That is the rifle that I started with and it was an easy transition!

7MMMAG

FNG
Look at AG Composites stocks and if that's still not enough weight cut, get yourself a proof or bartlein carbon barrel. If you want to get down to the oz, skeletonized handle, fluted bolt, NF ultra lite rings. If you are swapping scopes I would also recommend looking at Trijicon Tenmile but if you want lighter go for Zeiss conquest v4 4-16x44 it is 20oz. The AG composite stock & a Proof barrel will reach your budget. If you don't want to pay a gunsmith to fit the barrel you can get an OMR Pre fit barrel which will run about $150 cheaper than the proof. However, If you can stretch your budget 3-400 more you can really cut weight, you can send your bolt assembly out to LRI for fluting($50) & skeletonize the handle($100), you can even do a grayboe bottom metal which I believe is one of the lightest on the market. All said and done you should be around 7lbs depending on the scope, make sure you get a brake though.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

Cheapest option for a unique semi custom ultralight is putting a tikka superlite in a lighter weight chassis like an mdt lss (gen 2). No bottom metal or bedding required. Add a lightweight buffertube and mft minimalist stock... carbon grip, have the barrel threaded for MB or suppressor. If you shop around you can do the whole package for well within your budget.

Next Cheapest, assuming you want a carbon barrel is to buy a savage 110 ultralite 300wsm or 280ai or 28 nos and put the barreled action in a lightweight chassis. If you have the cash, upgrade to the mdt hnt26.

Most expensive, but lightest option is to buy a Christensen Ridgeline titanium, and put the barreled action in an hnt26 chassis. The Ridgeline ti barreled action is lighter than putting a proof barrel on an AnTi or pierce ti action. (3lbs 12oz for barreled action, 27oz for hnt26 non folder, 3oz for magpul LA magnum poly mag.... thats 90oz without scope, rings, or muzzle brake. (5.6lbs). Add 3.4 oz for DNZ 1 piece rings, and 20.6 oz swfa 3-9x42... 114oz all in, or 115.6oz if you use the 1.6oz ti muzzle brake. That is 7lbs 2oz scoped! 7lbs 3oz with a brake. 7lbs 6oz with a 4 Squared suppressor.

Durable Scopes: nx8 4-32x50 if you want it to double as a spotting scope (28.6oz) the ffp tenmile 3-18x44, 24.9 oz (if you want illuminated reticle, side focus, etc) or a fixed SWFA 10, 12, 16x with a Vortex venom 3moa red dot mounted on it for close shots (about 24 oz all in... but half the cost of the tenmile) or if you can find one... the swfa 3-9x42 ffp at 20.6oz.