Idaho youth application question

TheCougar

WKR
Anyone out here who can help with this question? I’m trying to apply my son for Idaho controlled hunts. We are nonresidents and I am under the impression that there is a reduced price youth hunting license for applying for controlled hunt permits. I can’t seem to find one, besides the mentored youth NR license. Reading the regs, I don’t believe he qualifies for the mentored license because he isn’t a first time hunter and I don’t believe he can use the mentored license for a controlled hunt tag. Am I missing something? I was hoping to apply him for ID, but not at a full price $200 hunting license. Thanks for the help.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
There isn't one for NR other than mentored.
Would I be correct in my assessment that he doesn’t qualify for mentored because he is
1. Not a first time hunter and
2. Apply for a controlled hunt

GRIZFUR

FNG
Anyone out here who can help with this question? I’m trying to apply my son for Idaho controlled hunts. We are nonresidents and I am under the impression that there is a reduced price youth hunting license for applying for controlled hunt permits. I can’t seem to find one, besides the mentored youth NR license. Reading the regs, I don’t believe he qualifies for the mentored license because he isn’t a first time hunter and I don’t believe he can use the mentored license for a controlled hunt tag. Am I missing something? I was hoping to apply him for ID, but not at a full price $200 hunting license. Thanks for the help.
The Junior Mentored license is the only discounted option for non-residents, at $91.75. I think that you are confusing it with the Hunting Passport for first time hunters.

From page 114 of the regulations "Youth Hunt Information"
NONRESIDENT Nonresidents age 10 and older who possess a nonresident junior mentored hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years or older who holds a current year license and tag that is valid for the same species as the youth hunter. The accompanying adult must be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices, and may hunt while participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time. A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag possession requirement. • Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess a full price hunting license are not required to follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The Junior Mentored license is the only discounted option for non-residents, at $91.75. I think that you are confusing it with the Hunting Passport for first time hunters.

From page 114 of the regulations "Youth Hunt Information"
NONRESIDENT Nonresidents age 10 and older who possess a nonresident junior mentored hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years or older who holds a current year license and tag that is valid for the same species as the youth hunter. The accompanying adult must be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices, and may hunt while participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time. A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag possession requirement. • Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess a full price hunting license are not required to follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field.
Thank you! Okay, so yes - I thought they were the same. That makes more sense now that the passport is separate from the mentored tag. So I can get him that reduced price mentored license and apply him for a controlled hunt. The only stipulations are that I must possess an ID hunting license (already done) and a hunt tag for the same species (so if he draws elk, I’ll have to buy an OTC elk tag). Sound about right?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
But you are correct… it looks like elk tags are sold out. So it’s a party application with him or nothing. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t realize…

87TT

WKR
You are right, they changed the rule. Left over or returned tags go on sale like once a month but got to be quick.

Troutsman

FNG
Next year you are better off picking up your general season tags the first day they go on sale. From there apply for the controlled hunts. You will be able to convert your general season tags into your controlled tags if you draw.

johnsd16

WKR
All the above info is accurate. ID is not a super friendly state for NR youth. It’s not super for R youth either as far as extra opportunities for controlled hunts. If you want super cheap NR youth options (with horrible odds) look to WA.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You are right, they changed the rule. Left over or returned tags go on sale like once a month but got to be quick.
Is this fairly common? I just looked and saw 2 lolo tags available. I mean, if my son gets drawn and I check consistently, can I count on picking up some kind of an elk tag before his hunt so he is legal to go? It’s a 95% chance he won’t get drawn, so I’m not blowing $651 for an elk tag I won’t use. I would wait to see if he drew before I got a tag.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
All the above info is accurate. ID is not a super friendly state for NR youth. It’s not super for R youth either as far as extra opportunities for controlled hunts. If you want super cheap NR youth options (with horrible odds) look to WA.
I’ll check that out next year. Everywhere has poor odds. I’m just trying to get poor odds without breaking the bank for all my kids. It adds up fast.

Troutsman

FNG
Hard to say, it's pretty new with the NR tag cuts the last couple years. NR turn tags back in and that allows for more tags to be sold. Otherwise all the tags has already been sold out for 6 months. Perhaps another option would be to partner up with another hunting party?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Hard to say, it's pretty new with the NR tag cuts the last couple years. NR turn tags back in and that allows for more tags to be sold. Otherwise all the tags has already been sold out for 6 months. Perhaps another option would be to partner up with another hunting party?
Not really an option. I don’t have any friends hunting ID.

87TT

WKR
There have been no NR tag cuts in Idaho. They just spread them out to different units. The demand on the other hand has exploded. Would be pretty much a crap shoot to pull off what you want to do this year. The returned tags go on sale once a month and it is first come first serve. It is doable but steep odds. Tags go on sale on Dec. first.

Last edited: