Idaho Unit 50 or 36 A Elk

Hello everyone! I live in Unit 11 but looking to take a solo trip to the Mackay or Challis area. I put in for the bull tag but if not drawn will still do OTC. Will take my bow but also my rifle as I will be more than happy to help the ranchers out and take a cow. Been looking Google earth and ONX but going in blind and only time ill get my boots on the ground down there is when i will be hunting. Because i don't care if i get a bull or a cow hoping someone can give some areas to check out. Kind of liking 36A a bit more as the antlerless any weapon goes from August 1 - November 30 so i can pack my bow and rifle come September.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That antlerless option limits your areas to focus on if you're thinking of taking a rifle. Has to be within a mile of an irrigated field. Expect lots of company, those units get a lot of pressure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks for the input. May need to focus more in the southern section of Unit 50 towards Iron Bog and both right and left forks, Fish and Timber Creek. 50 is huge though and like you said, I really don't want to limit my options focusing on antlerless only with a rifle.

OP
S
Good luck there. That part of the unit is a zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang! Well, it's all about locating them. If it's a zoo maybe that means they are there 😆. At this point I think i wouldn't mind people because where i have been up here hunting in 10A, 15, 8A, and 11A over the years, just finding them has been an issue for me during archery. Who knows, maybe ill run into someone that could used a little help packing one out. Thanks for the input bowtech I do appreciate the in-site even if it may be bummer news.

OP
S
I plan to hunt 36A if I don’t draw 18, I live in 11a. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Not able to PM yet as i am new to this site and don't have enough posts yet. Getting closer though. I seriously thought about 18 also. Love the Riggins area. Seven Devils area looks phenomenal. I think i got scared off due to some things i have read in the past with how steep it is.

Dang! Well, it's all about locating them. If it's a zoo maybe that means they are there . At this point I think i wouldn't mind people because where i have been up here hunting in 10A, 15, 8A, and 11A over the years, just finding them has been an issue for me during archery. Who knows, maybe ill run into someone that could used a little help packing one out. Thanks for the input bowtech I do appreciate the in-site even if it may be bummer news.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d rather know ahead of time so I didn’t put all my eggs in the one basket. Good luck this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's plenty of super steep terrain in 36A and 50 as well, I don't think he was specifically talking about 7 Devils when he was giving advice. All of central Idaho is steep, it's just part of it. Hard to escape that.

OP
S
Thanks for the input. Mobile yes but just not very fast. Excited to check out some new terrain and challenge myself a bit. Showed my wife my ONX way points yesterday I put out in 36a and 50 and she was like ill never find you as you marked everything. Lol.

OP
S
Thank you so much for the heads up. I put in for the antler hunt 10\1 so we will see. If not drawn still think will do the archery OTC. Just looking for a shot at finding them. Very encouraging to hear the elk are there. Now just got to find em. Thanks again for the info.

bamagun

FNG
Like others have said, it was a parking lot last year. One of your main goals will turn out to be just finding a place to park your truck. A lot of elk would come out of that zone if it was limited, but with thousands of hunters, its tough..

OP
S
Like others have said, it was a parking lot last year. One of your main goals will turn out to be just finding a place to park your truck. A lot of elk would come out of that zone if it was limited, but with thousands of hunters, its tough..
Thank you for the info. I have put in for the 36a2 antlers rifle hunt for 10/1 so will wait on the draw before i make my calls to both the salmon and Upper Snake field offices. I want as much info on both in case i need to bounce between 36a and 50. So the elk are their i gather but also are the people. Looks like they will get one more person this year lol. If i can just get into them I'll shoot either sex with my bow. First one that comes close enough will hopefully get a G5 Striker through both lungs. Excited to see new country and have many waypoints marked on my ONX maps. Again, thanks for the info and best of luck to you this year.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, can't say you haven't been warned about the zoo that is 36A lol

OP
S
Well, can't say you haven't been warned about the zoo that is 36A lol

LOL. I guess i have to look at it as glass half full right. The elk are there but so are the people. Do you have any thoughts on 50? I put in for the 36A2 bull rifle starting 10/1 but if not drawn i may be bouncing between 36A and 50 for archery OTC. I have a lot of waypoints marked on ONX for both units and will be making my calls to both the salmon and Upper Snake field offices once the draw results are out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think 50 gets more people than any zone in that unit because of its proximity to people i.e. Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot etc. That being said, you hunt anywhere in that zone you're going to have company. Be interesting to see what effect zone caps will do for pressure starting in 2021.