Idaho Unit 14 Kill Off

I called the McCall office yesterday to ask how many they were planning on killing. The Biologist wasn't available but the fella I talked to said he wasn't sure "but it was going to be substantial". I also asked how far east CWD had made it, since they said that the new positive cases were within a 6 mile radius of Slate Creek. It was detected in Nut Basin , which is a pretty good march east already.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/fg-w...ate-creek-slow-spread-chronic-wasting-disease

I actually think that killing off 1 drainage in an attempt to curb the spread may not be the worst idea, it’s better than most states strategies of killing all the deer statewide to try to stop it.

Im still not sure how I feel about CWD management but I like the idea of trying something a little different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Customweld
Pretty dang sad deal, all the way around. The bummer part is they are gonna kill off a bunch of muleys, but probably miss a bunch of whitetails that are farther up in Slate Creek.

280Ackley

WKR
Lmtribune has an article in it this morning that estimated 200 mule deer and 250 whitetail are wintering there currently. Also said they plan to take out 6-10 elk and if they test positive, they will reassess the situation.

JoeDirt

WKR
Im shocked this wasnt talked about much. I was over there when they found the first case of CWD in 2020

Seems a little late to do a massive kill off.

cnelk

WKR
I can’t believe F&G are still killing deer herds with suspected CWD.

The ol Colorado DOW slaughtered thousands of deer on Front Range 20 years to no avail.

It’s taken this long for the herd to rebound

KurtR

WKR
Been tried in other states won’t work just a waste of deer. Cwd is here to stay has been for decades . Studying stuff is big bucks though so never let a good crisis go to waste……

Been tried in other states won’t work just a waste of deer. Cwd is here to stay has been for decades . Studying stuff is big bucks though so never let a good crisis go to waste……

The difference in this case is it has so far been confined to a single drainage, there is a chance it could work. This isn’t a wholesale state or unit wide slaughter

KurtR

WKR
The difference in this case is it has so far been confined to a single drainage, there is a chance it could work. This isn’t a wholesale state or unit wide slaughter

What about the prions in the dirt that will stay. If testing was done at a higher rate it would be found more. It’s the same as every other state. It was only a few places here then they tested more and it magically popped up more places. Unless there is a cure it’s all just doing something to do it with little effect.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Killing herds to save the herd? CWD gets in the soil and will still spread as soon as new game moves in.