Idaho Swan

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on pulling a Permit! I have not hunted Swans in ID, but have pulled a few Permits over the years in ND with some success. They are typically very plentiful in the area we hunt ducks/geese and had good success just pass shooting them.

I’ve never hunted them either, but when I’ve seen them in ND they seem to have a fairly consistent daily pattern and it seems like pass shooting could be effective.

I've killed and hunted them in Utah, and seen them while duck hunting in southern Idaho while they have flown right over me. I've called them in by just verbally "whooping" even without decoys. They taste good in the slow cooker, make sure you use the biggest shells you have- I lost a swan because I had 3" in instead of my 3 1/2" BBs.

CorbLand

WKR
They are like blowing a B52 out of the air. Fun to hunt. I just pass shot mine. Have enough points to go again, just not the time.
BF151FB2-41AD-4BB0-9A3C-73A26592E7E7.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
We have killed a bunch here in Sodak. Put out a couple snow goose floaters and they decoy right in. Two swan floaters would probably work even better. We shoot them with 2 shot over decoys

Last edited:
OP
frazierw

frazierw

FNG
Thanks yall. Sounds like it isn’t too difficult to find some to get a shot at! Looking forward to the hunt

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
One or two decoys with you and a couple buddies whooping will pull them right in. It’s actually pretty dang fun. Here in Utah during Swan season you’ll hear people whooping all over the marshes along the wasatch front. It’s pretty funny but effective. I’m not sure what your limitations or areas are up there but like others have said, they are pretty easy to pattern most of the time.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
What are you supposed to look for in a swan? Like what makes a “trophy swan?”
How white they are mostly. Size can be a factor. The yellow spot being more pronounced. A lot of folks “accidentally” shoot gray ones (juveniles) being impatient. Back when they used to put blue collars on them was a big deal. I just try to pick out the biggest and whitest bird from a group. The later in the season you can wait to take one the better chance of fuller plumage as well.