Idaho Spring Bear

Hi all. Appreciate the wealth of information in this thread.

Question for anyone with baiting experience. Is it worth it to attempt to set up a bait site or two for an 8-10 day trip? In your experience how long does it take for bears to hit up a bait site assuming there's bears in the area and the bait is well done.

Thanks for any insight!
In my experience, bears will be most likely to find a bait site quickly if it is later in the season. When I put out bait on opening day in mid April it can take a couple weeks before the bait gets hit. There have been a couple times when I have started baits later in the season in mid to late May and in June when I've had bears find the bait within 2-3 days.

I wouldn't do it as my only tactic for an 8-10 day trip although I have read stories from hunters who did it successfully. I could see trying it if you are also going to be doing spot and stalk and then throwing out a bait site as another option.

Depends a lot on the bait site, and what you’re using to lure them in honestly. I have one site that gets hit the night I set it up and hammered as long as I have it up. Then again, I’ve had others like that, but then for one reason or another are left completely alone the next year.

DKE34

FNG
In my experience, bears will be most likely to find a bait site quickly if it is later in the season. When I put out bait on opening day in mid April it can take a couple weeks before the bait gets hit. There have been a couple times when I have started baits later in the season in mid to late May and in June when I've had bears find the bait within 2-3 days.

I wouldn't do it as my only tactic for an 8-10 day trip although I have read stories from hunters who did it successfully. I could see trying it if you are also going to be doing spot and stalk and then throwing out a bait site as another option.
Thank you! Good to know. We're planning on going late May and that's exactly what we were thinking of doing.

DKE34

FNG
Depends a lot on the bait site, and what you’re using to lure them in honestly. I have one site that gets hit the night I set it up and hammered as long as I have it up. Then again, I’ve had others like that, but then for one reason or another are left completely alone the next year.
Thank you. If you don't mind sharing, what works best for you to bring them in?