Idaho Rifle Antelope

My stepdaughter drew a unit 39 tag, and we went out for the opener yesterday. There's a decent buck I had been watching where I take my kids out shooting rocks. Found him around 9:30, and he had 12 does. He was chasing the does nonstop, and around 11:00, he broke off from the herd with a single doe. He chased that doe for miles and never presented us a shot opportunity as he wouldn't hold still. Is there a secret to hunting bucks in the rut and getting them to hold still long enough for a shot opportunity? Are we better off waiting until the end of the season when things have settled down?

Levi

Are you sure it wasn’t just a much smaller buck he was chasing? I’ve never seen a buck run a doe for miles. Usually they hang pretty tight with their harem unless they are running off a buck and if they do run off another buck they come back to the does pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep after it with him. He will be back in the same area again soon. Wait for him to make a mistake, he will and patience pays off.

OP
L
Are you sure it wasn’t just a much smaller buck he was chasing? I’ve never seen a buck run a doe for miles. Usually they hang pretty tight with their harem unless they are running off a buck and if they do run off another buck they come back to the does pretty quick.
I was 99% sure it was a doe until reading this. I don't remember seeing any black on its face through the spotter, but that buck was running it pretty hard. Which now makes sense.

rclouse79

WKR
I am taking my boy out this weekend in 40. I thought about picking up an antelope decoy to see if I could bring one in. Maybe a bad idea during rifle.

WRO

WKR
I am taking my boy out this weekend in 40. I thought about picking up an antelope decoy to see if I could bring one in. Maybe a bad idea during rifle.
Really really bad idea..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk