Idaho Res General Deer Tag

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
So this application season I really got to thinking about how good this tag really is. I didn't put in for a deer controlled hunt (was unsuccessful for an Elk and Pronghorn tag).

I get it if you have a prized non-otc unit or want a specific rut hunt, but I went into this year wanting to maximize time in field when I have the opportunity.

Other than the deer-superhunt (or superhunt combo) I feel like the otc res tag is pretty amazing. 3 full months of opportunity in the vast majority of units between archery and rifle.

I've got a lot to learn and I think maximizing my time in the field presents the best opportunity (for me).

What do you guys think about how Idaho runs this tag? Do you think eventually they will end up moving towards the Elk style otc tags based on unit/zone?

At the risk of this going off the rails, I'll comment that I appreciate Idaho's system, even as a NR (once you get the tag). Gives archery-rifle combo guys a lot of time to turn up an older age-class deer while keeping the yearly traditions alive for those who live in Idaho.

Winterkill notwithstanding, Idaho's got a good thing going, but especially when the populations cycle in your favor.

I think people need to stop complaining. Not directed at you, OP. Leave a fairly good system alone. The more complaints, someone in their infinite wisdom will try to change something. Usually those changes aren't great for the average hunter. OR, CO, etc. Stop complaining, start outworking other hunters in the field, and you will do well most years.

I think people need to stop complaining. Not directed at you, OP. Leave a fairly good system alone. The more complaints, someone in their infinite wisdom will try to change something. Usually those changes aren't great for the average hunter. OR, CO, etc. Stop complaining, start outworking other hunters in the field, and you will do well most years.
I agree. Just listening to Robby's podcasts with the biologists, hunting pressure ebbs and flows with herd population peaks and valleys. There is no doubt that Idaho's population has exploded and there has been an increase in hunting pressure. We are super fortunate here in that we can rove all over the state on an otc tag.
There are years, that I will get a wild hair and head into one of the MF zones in the middle of September. Most of the time, it's a humbling hunt with no blood drawn. Luckily, I can hunt a different area later in the fall.

In before Andrew12guage blows this thread up with how wrong idaho is on this. :)

Welcome to Idaho, leave it alone unless there is actual scientific evidence that the seasons are hurting populations. Which there isn’t any. Hunting mule deer mid October is the toughest way to hunt them. We aren’t Montana.

I disagree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
So this application season I really got to thinking about how good this tag really is. I didn't put in for a deer controlled hunt (was unsuccessful for an Elk and Pronghorn tag).

I get it if you have a prized non-otc unit or want a specific rut hunt, but I went into this year wanting to maximize time in field when I have the opportunity.

Other than the deer-superhunt (or superhunt combo) I feel like the otc res tag is pretty amazing. 3 full months of opportunity in the vast majority of units between archery and rifle.

I've got a lot to learn and I think maximizing my time in the field presents the best opportunity (for me).

What do you guys think about how Idaho runs this tag? Do you think eventually they will end up moving towards the Elk style otc tags based on unit/zone?
FYI, you can draw controlled deer, buy the tag, and pick up a returned nonres general tag as a 2nd. The tag is not unit specific for residents.

The general tag is pretty cool and is a great opportunity if you put in the work, but the one mid level controlled buck hunt that I had provided far better opportunity than a general tag.

I don't know what the answer is on how Idaho should run this tag. I just wish people would stop killing so many young bucks. I think that IDFG will one day begin capping the resident tags by unit as they do for nonres.

1 point since my opinion is pretty well known at this point.

Wildlife management has 2 aspects to it, animal populations and social pressures. I for the most part agree with you guys that we have a real good thing going. I in no way have ever thought the animal population was being hurt by our current general tag system, however I do think amongst the social(human) population at large there is a growing belief that it is. I would only like to see IDFG get ahead of the social pressure I hear just talking to other hunters while going about my everyday life who seem to think our future is a full on controlled hunt only system for mule deer. I think that if a system were created whereby there are multiple zones throughout the state, like elk, it could be a way to cut off that argument at the pass in order that future generations, i.e my kids(my first gets to deer hunt this year, I’m stoked) and your kids if you have any, will continue to be able to carry on the tradition of an annual deer hunt.

My only concern is keeping Idaho out of a controlled hunt only model.

Although I do think they could cut the 2 point hunts in the owyhees and that most of the weiser river elk zone, and units 39 and 43 are too close to Boise to allow completely unchecked numbers of hunters and sustain a viable mule deer population long term. I think the current model works over 95% of Idaho because people spread themselves out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Interesting. I’ve never heard anyone say the way our deer hunting is being managed we will be going to a full controlled hunt statewide situation. What kind of person is saying this? Like a drunk at the Riggins bar? Or an educated and well spoken person with real experience? Who?

Also, remember folks killing bucks young or old has zero effect on deer populations. I believe (in listening to more than one mule deer biologist) you only need about 6 bucks per 100 does to breed them all. Correct me if I’m wrong @robby denning. If everyone would pay more attention to the podcast with biologist giving us factual data and less barstool banter we would all be better off. Let’s start there, then make our way towards meaningful improvements in habitat and predator control.

Andrew I def share your concern in keeping ID out of a controlled hunt only model. If that idea ever gets presented I’ll be sharpening my pitch forks and raising hell.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I’ve never heard anyone say the way our deer hunting is being managed we will be going to a full controlled hunt statewide situation. What kind of person is saying this? Like a drunk at the Riggins bar? Or an educated and well spoken person with real experience? Who?

Also, remember folks killing bucks young or old has zero effect on deer populations. I believe (in listening to more than one mule deer biologist) you only need about 6 bucks per 100 does to breed them all. Correct me if I’m wrong @robby denning. If everyone would pay more attention to the podcast with biologist giving us factual data and less barstool banter we would all be better off. Let’s start there, then make our way towards meaningful improvements in habitat and predator control.

Andrew I def share your concern in keeping ID out of a controlled hunt only model. If that idea ever gets presented I’ll be sharpening my pitch forks and raising hell.
I appreciate you guys who are willing to give those biologist episodes a listen.

I like how Jeff Short puts it, “it’s pretty easy to grow big bucks by just making something limited quota and take away a bunch of the opportunity…” I see two many hunters on and off this site who forget that loss of opportunity part

I appreciate you guys who are willing to give those biologist episodes a listen.

I like how Jeff Short puts it, “it’s pretty easy to grow big bucks by just making something limited quota and take away a bunch of the opportunity…” I see two many hunters on and off this site who forget that loss of opportunity part
@robby denning , the muley podcasts are awesome! I have learned a lot from them. I've mentioned this a couple of times, but I'd like to hear more from Toby on the Idaho CWD situation.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning , the muley podcasts are awesome! I have learned a lot from them. I've mentioned this a couple of times, but I'd like to hear more from Toby on the Idaho CWD situation.
Thanks!

& we’ll prolly cover that over winter. Now that I broke the ice with Colorado, hoping more states want to talk about it.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
As a Colorado resident without a deer tag (yet) I’d really appreciate having a guaranteed deer tag. I’m still going on two hunts with friends/family and will have a good chance to get my own tag, but the peace of mind of knowing I’d have a sure thing would be really nice

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
As a Colorado resident without a deer tag (yet) I’d really appreciate having a guaranteed deer tag. I’m still going on two hunts with friends/family and will have a good chance to get my own tag, but the peace of mind of knowing I’d have a sure thing would be really nice
As a lifelong Idaho resident the idea of not having a deer and elk tag every year is mind blowing. I too have been known to complain about Idaho (no)Fish and Game, admittedly mostly on the gross ineptitude of managing our anadromous fish, but sometimes will complain about game species as well. It is interesting to step back and realize how good we have it in the state, even if there isn't 160 inch whitetails around every tree that people can shoot from their wheeler every year like they did in the 90s...but I digress.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I've been saying it for years. The resident general deer tag in Idaho is the best tag in the state. If you treat it like a once in a lifetime draw there's great bucks to be had most years.

dancyr3

FNG

Absolutely correct on this, the populations are determined by a lot more by other factors other than hunters harvesting bucks