Idaho Opener

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 613523
25 degree high with 30 knot winds and snow tan I s out of the backcountry. Bounced around some lower elevation stuff for a day and it was CRAWLING with people. Deer numbers were depressingly low. Headed back up high yesterday and the boss lady knocked down her first animal. She hiked, glassed and hunted her tail off and was rewarded with a beautiful burn buck in the high country.
Nice job! Mind sharing very general area for weather report? I’m going to unit 39 and weather man is telling me it may be up to 70deg high or possibly 20deg low with chilly days

Nice job! Mind sharing very general area for weather report? I’m going to unit 39 and weather man is telling me it may be up to 70deg high or possibly 20deg low with chilly days
Yessir! We were about 35 miles due south of Salmon. High temps at 7500-8000’ were hovering around 35 and we had a light dusting at that elevation. Doe and whitetail were more plentiful in the sage flats/drainages leading to private ag, and didn’t have near the pressure. (Keep that in your back pocket) High barometric pressure certainly had the deer moving longer into the morning and earlier in the evening, per usual.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Yessir! We were about 35 miles due south of Salmon. High temps at 7500-8000’ were hovering around 35 and we had a light dusting at that elevation. Doe and whitetail were more plentiful in the sage flats/drainages leading to private ag, and didn’t have near the pressure. (Keep that in your back pocket) High barometric pressure certainly had the deer moving longer into the morning and earlier in the evening, per usual.

I love the Challis NF! It’s been spared all of the access roads you see in SW Idaho. I was not far west of your adventure this August coming down from summiting Mt. Borah, took an ungainly fall on the trail below treeline, and saw a big four-point muley laughing at me. Seriously thinking of heading back there, rucking up to about 10 k before dawn, and seeing what the flatlanders scare up. The Lost River range has the steepest mountains in Idaho and not for the faint of heart – anyone reading this, bring trekking poles if you’re planning on braving those high-gradient mountains.

I love the Challis NF! It’s been spared all of the access roads you see in SW Idaho. I was not far west of your adventure this August coming down from summiting Mt. Borah, took an ungainly fall on the trail below treeline, and saw a big four-point muley laughing at me. Seriously thinking of heading back there, rucking up to about 10 k before dawn, and seeing what the flatlanders scare up. The Lost River range has the steepest mountains in Idaho and not for the faint of heart – anyone reading this, bring trekking poles if you’re planning on braving those high-gradient mountains.
You aren’t kidding! We got to watch some beautiful sheep while we were up high, at least 😅

OP
Customweld
Wow, great hunting! Looks like that pic was taken during the eclipse?
It was. I didn’t even remember it was going on. When we were working her deer up she mentioned it was really dark for that time of day and then it clicked.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
curious what the locals are seeing as far as pressure in their familar units. my local unit seems crazy with pressure compared to the last five years and fairly sustained since the opener.

OP
Customweld
curious what the locals are seeing as far as pressure in their familar units. my local unit seems crazy with pressure compared to the last five years and fairly sustained since the opener.
It’s been busy the few times I’ve been out. Not any more than usual though.

I hunted Unit 39 as a nonresident with my brothers for the second time, 2021 and 23. The pressure seemed higher than a couple years ago. We hunted 7 days from the opener. Weather was all over the place. Seemed like we saw less bucks being packed out or hanging at camps than we saw 2 years ago. I killed a small 3x3 on the evening of the 4th day.

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted Unit 39 as a nonresident with my brothers for the second time, 2021 and 23. The pressure seemed higher than a couple years ago. We hunted 7 days from the opener. Weather was all over the place. Seemed like we saw less bucks being packed out or hanging at camps than we saw 2 years ago. I killed a small 3x3 on the evening of the 4th day.
Nice job on getting a buck. We hunted unit 39 as well, 6800-9000ft elevation range and saw 38 does 10/14-10/19. Weather was HOT during the day. We hunted hard and hit multiple drainages in our area but didnt glass up a single buck. It was our first time in the area so cannot comment on pressure and years past, but of the hunters we spoke to (many have hunted the area before) it was tough hunting and we were doing the right things. Just how it goes sometimes.

dano626

FNG
I believe I ran into you fellas down there on Mon the 16th?? I had a truck camper setup. Only saw 10 does in 4 days.