I

My opinion is that I, and only I, should have statewide tags for deer and elk with season dates of July 1 to December 31 and everyone else goes without. If I only harvest one deer and elk each year the numbers and quality would skyrocket. Once there's 220" deer and 390" bulls in abundance in every unit then we can have a discussion about letting others hunt:ROFLMAO:
Agreed :ROFLMAO:, except I'll be the one with the tags ;)

Born and raised in SE Idaho. I quit hunting mule deer in SE Idaho because of the piss poor management.

In my book the absolute number 1 problem with mule deer is lack of quality habitat/access to the quality habitat. Grazing and mule deer don't mix. Dozens of biologists and research papers have been addressing this concern since the 1980s. Your mulies cant make it through a harsh winter when they have subpar fat storage. Heap onto that they can't obtain adequate fat reserves when they are hunted from August 30th through mid November, you know, when they should be bulking up.

Grazing won't change when Idaho's Gov Little is a rancher. I keep a tab on my favorite spots in unit 76. Last year I checked out a "stopover" for mule deer migration. It was grazed down to bare dirt by the sheep in by mid August. Calling the Caribou Nat'l forest, IDFG and nothing changes. No one is accountable.

This is where the piss poor management comes in.

The only thing that's going to give is not having mule deer to hunt.
I see issues with grazing in other states as well. The Range Managers with BLM/FS seem to let the ranchers slide for the most part. They are supposed to meet standards set in their grazing permit (stubble height etc), but I don't think it happens often. I think we could see a change relatively quickly, at least on public land grazing, if BLM/FS were strict on adhering to conditions of the grazing permits.

Spoonbill

WKR
Looks like fish and game is taking steps to boost the deer herd by reducing and eliminating some tags.

WRO

WKR
Looks like fish and game is taking steps to boost the deer herd by reducing and eliminating some tags.

Now if they did the otc tags..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
Now if they did the otc tags..

I know Fish and Game can only change the regs every two years for most things. I don’t know how much leeway they have (like what they did with draw tags) but I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw more draw only units the next time they change seasons.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I see issues with grazing in other states as well. The Range Managers with BLM/FS seem to let the ranchers slide for the most part. They are supposed to meet standards set in their grazing permit (stubble height etc), but I don't think it happens often. I think we could see a change relatively quickly, at least on public land grazing, if BLM/FS were strict on adhering to conditions of the grazing permits.
The gov't accountability office, GAO, studied unauthorized grazing on BLM and USFS land in 2016. They found the frequency and extent of unauthorized grazing is unknown bc agency officials resolve issues informally, ie, over the phone, and do not record them.

They also found the agencies rarely issued fines for unauthorized grazing because the fee is too small to be a deterrent.

I know Fish and Game can only change the regs every two years for most things. I don’t know how much leeway they have (like what they did with draw tags) but I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw more draw only units the next time they change seasons.

They literally just set seasons this year, mostly status quo, I don’t see more units going to draw anytime soon, I still think they need to limit our resident tags to specific zones like elk tags now

They literally just set seasons this year, mostly status quo, I don’t see more units going to draw anytime soon, I still think they need to limit our resident tags to specific zones like elk tags now

Agreed about picking your unit. I can't imagine it's far off since they already did it to non residents.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Keep that pick your unit for deer nonsense to you down south please. Up here there’s no need. :)

I personally prefer more of a zone model like we have for elk. I think that’s the way to go. Leave the whitetail tag as is, statewide with lots of options

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I see this thread is still raging on, well guys I’ve been spending a lot of time in the woods this spring here in Idaho and I’ve got bad news, I’ve seen plenty of deer but not a single one had antlers, winter must have claimed them all.

Idaho is extremely far behind on current management practices compared to many of its neighbors. It’s for a number of reasons, but it is concerning.

You can argue opportunity vs. quality…. I like what Idaho does to ensure opportunities…..but when it comes to sound management practices, Idaho is running behind. Especially with Mule Deer

Here are a few examples.

1) GPS Collars- right now in most of the hardest hit winter range, IDFG barely has a collar on adult female mule deer. This is embarrassing. Wyoming/Utah/Colorado all have up to date information on survivability, IDFG doesn’t have a clue. To top it off, they were catching deer in JANUARY via helicopter to collar the handful of fawns they have. They are the only agency that I know that would do this. Other agencies collar late fall or early spring, not IDFG.

2) Tags before winter??? Idaho is the only state I am aware of selling tags a calendar year before the season. How can you sell tags to non residents before you even know winter mortality!? What about a big disease die off, CWD? When you issue tags 10 months before season you are setting yourself up for disaster. (Let’s not even go down the rabbit hole of how shitty that “tag sale” is, what a disaster)

3) $19.75 Resident deer tags is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. You can’t buy a box of ammunition for that price. No wonder they can’t afford GPS collars and helicopter time. Compare this number ti neighboring states, 🤮🤮🤮

4) Antler Seasons- it’s not a debate, there is scientific evidence there is impact from antler gathering/winter range disturbance. Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Nevada have all figured it out, not Idaho. On the worst winter in 20 years, we have “sportsman” gathering antlers 🙄🙄 (note- finally there is legislation to address this)

5) Migration Routes - again, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Nevada have all taken serious steps forward to install overpasses/underpasses in critical migration routes with a large number of highway mortality. Not Idaho. They have been “working” on one site I know of for over 15 years and NOTHING has happened,

…. I’m going to stop as I’m getting pissed thinking about it….
Idahos combination nonresident tag is 100 dollars more than utahs… they stick non residents instead of their residents.

If we went to a 5 to 7 day otc season, there wouldnt be a forkie alive because more people would feel like they have to shoot the first deer they see so “they could get their buck”. If anything, elimating doe tags, including youth and archery hunts, should be on the table.
I am probably in the minority but I would rather see longer seasons. If Idaho went to a five week season like Montana, how many more people would be willing to not shoot the first deer they saw because they had more time to hunt for a mature buck?
Another issue that whitetail deer are outcompeting mule deer. A change I would like to see is instead of having to select a whitetail only tag for residents, just allow residents to use a general deer tag to only hunt whitetails.
Fish and game like 1 buck to 17 doe ratio too many does won’t solve it. Still need doe management where they are thick. Idaho struggles with realizing what units lack does and when they do realize it’s kinda late and that units rebuild is slow. Look at 39 for instance most hunted unit in the state 2000 either sex tags controlled off (which is too many) but I can go in there every year and see 100s of does to very few bucks. Idaho needs to do what Washington and Montana does and go to a 3point buck or bigger for the general buck hunt. Forcing people to pass fork n horns and letting some bucks grow and bang a doe or two before he’s plowed over. I asked fish and game the reasoning behind 2point on units and letting people shoot forkys he said is because the mortality rate is high and so they’d rather people shoot the young deer than see it wasted come spring do to winter kill off.

*Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has entered the chat*

-So, you think IDFG is the worst, huh?

At least they have the brains to go to a 3 point or bigger general buck… so the young bucks can at least get milk off their lips and smell some does in heat before they get smoked!

Correlation vs causation.

No doubt mule deer avoid elk. However, the rise of elk populations and the subsequent decrease of mule deer is largely due to grazing habits that have and are decreasing shrub density in favor of grasslands. This leads to elk habitat over deer. Elk populations rise and mule deer decrease.
Doesn’t help that mule deer get absolutely hammered in the winter and aren’t as eager to eat at feed stations like elk are. Elk are just more equipped to survive 2-3ft standing snow than deer are.

alot of interesting perspectives. i think most are valid. Personally I would like to see a more “controlled” approach to the otc deer tags available to residents. If IDFG put in place quota limits on rifle tags per region(exactly like they do for elk), while maintaining similar opportunity for lower percentage harvest hunts(archery general opportunities) everybody gets to hunt if they want and it would also seem to be a more scientific, careful approach to the season setting rather then letting idaho militia loose on a fragile deer population every year. It seems absurd that the more delicate ungulate(deer) population would be less regulated. not rational. proves that the system leans towards and protects the species that makes more money for IDFG(elk). Us Idahoans should demand higher cost for deer tags and in turn better management! I would have no qualms paying 40-50-60-even 70 dollars for a tag if I knew we could hold IDFG more accountable for our herd. or make the nonrezys pay for it all… 😉
I actually like that quota idea.. have a few general hunts to take pressure off… or hell if they’d offer more over the counter muzzleloader opportunities than they do I’d gladly take one for the team every other year and pickup the ol smoke stick. Also going to a 3 point or bigger buck for general would help a bit. Enough of the 2 point bullshit. Unless it’s a 24 inch spread and still a 2 point.

Spoonbill

WKR
Fish and game like 1 buck to 17 doe ratio too many does won’t solve it. Still need doe management where they are thick. Idaho struggles with realizing what units lack does and when they do realize it’s kinda late and that units rebuild is slow. Look at 39 for instance most hunted unit in the state 2000 either sex tags controlled off (which is too many) but I can go in there every year and see 100s of does to very few bucks. Idaho needs to do what Washington and Montana does and go to a 3point buck or bigger for the general buck hunt. Forcing people to pass fork n horns and letting some bucks grow and bang a doe or two before he’s plowed over. I asked fish and game the reasoning behind 2point on units and letting people shoot forkys he said is because the mortality rate is high and so they’d rather people shoot the young deer than see it wasted come spring do to winter kill off.
I disagree that we need to force people to pass on a forkie for a couple reasons. First, most people just don’t care and would rather shoot a deer to eat. Secondly that allows deer with subpar genetics to keep breeding while year old bucks with more than 2 points on one side to get shot. I shot a “forkie” that was a mature buck but under a 3 point rule, I would have had to pass.
Also with any antler restriction rules, a percentage of deer will get shot and left in the field because it didnt qualify.
Here is an article that breaks down some of the problems with your proposal.

I disagree that we need to force people to pass on a forkie for a couple reasons. First, most people just don’t care and would rather shoot a deer to eat. Secondly that allows deer with subpar genetics to keep breeding while year old bucks with more than 2 points on one side to get shot. I shot a “forkie” that was a mature buck but under a 3 point rule, I would have had to pass.
Also with any antler restriction rules, a percentage of deer will get shot and left in the field because it didnt qualify.
Here is an article that breaks down some of the problems with your proposal.

Robby also has a great Rokcast on this topic.

sneaky

"DADDY"
At least they have the brains to go to a 3 point or bigger general buck… so the young bucks can at least get milk off their lips and smell some does in heat before they get smoked!
Point restrictions don't work, and using Washington as an example on any kind of game management is laughable

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk