Idaho Mule Deer OTC

Pafarm

FNG
Few questions:

I have hunted Idaho before and just never laid eyes on a big mule deer. Im not looking for the next world record, just a decent 3 by 3 or 4 by 4.

What elevation is best for last week of rifle oct 19-28th?

Timber mixed with open areas that they come to feed? I have seen them in the open, but seems the better bucks I've seen have been in open areas in timber that have food and some sun. South sides with lots of bitter brush.

If I don't find a pocket of them should I move to the next area via foot, or pack out and drive to totally new area? I am planning on hunting a roadless area about 4-5 mile hike into where we plan to camp.

I have hunted the past two years and saw some deer, but mainly spikes and small forkys. I have seen a few decent bucks but never had them in a good position to make a play. Along with that I live on the east coast so the summer/preseason isn't doable for me. I have great optics and 8 days to find a deer I want to shoot. Any tips or advice appreciated! Thanks

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Frankly, not that many really big deer in Idaho. Elk bully them; lots of predators dine on them and their fawns. Also, we generally don't have thick, lush vegetation like back east. The biggest mule deer I've seen in Idaho has been along the Greenbelt in Boise near Barber Park!

OP, I've never hunted ID, but mature mule deer in that time frame are generally holding pretty tight to cover, and usually alone. The rut hasn't quite kicked in yet, so you need to really do a lot of looking. First step, I'd get Robby Denning's book. He has a lot of good info on hunting bigger bucks.

Personally, I'd make sure I have my eyeballs glued to good binoculars on a tripod from the moment I can see through them, till about 10am, and again the last few hours of the day. Mid day, I'd try hard to find a set of real big tracks. If you have edges, and transition zones to any obvious food sources, you can sometimes do that unobtrusively. Think about where a big buck will end up at middle of the night. Once you have a big fresh track, you know you're in the game, and you have to put on your thinking hat to narrow it down.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
If you're finding only does and young bucks you're not high enough in elevation. The time of year you are going you need to be on the ridgetops unless there is a big snow event and even then the mature bucks likely won't be coming down until the rut starts.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG
OP, I've never hunted ID, but mature mule deer in that time frame are generally holding pretty tight to cover, and usually alone. The rut hasn't quite kicked in yet, so you need to really do a lot of looking. First step, I'd get Robby Denning's book. He has a lot of good info on hunting bigger bucks.

Personally, I'd make sure I have my eyeballs glued to good binoculars on a tripod from the moment I can see through them, till about 10am, and again the last few hours of the day. Mid day, I'd try hard to find a set of real big tracks. If you have edges, and transition zones to any obvious food sources, you can sometimes do that unobtrusively. Think about where a big buck will end up at middle of the night. Once you have a big fresh track, you know you're in the game, and you have to put on your thinking hat to narrow it down.
Great I ordered the book. I think these past few years I just wasn't high enough and watching thicker timber stands hard enough. I appreciate the reply and the advice.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG
If you're finding only does and young bucks you're not high enough in elevation. The time of year you are going you need to be on the ridgetops unless there is a big snow event and even then the mature bucks likely won't be coming down until the rut starts.
That's what I figured out last year seemed to be my issue. This year my spot is actually on my units border. It is 6 miles from nearest road by the crow flies. Its a long pack in and we will be at around 10k feet. It has a nice stand of timber on north facing slopes and looks to be some good feed on south facing. Going to pack in there and see what I can turn up. I always watched the south facing in the past hard, but do you usually see bucks on the edge of timber stands on north facing? I plan on just picking apart that basin for a few days since its large if I see no deer then i will relocate.

Harvey_NW

WKR
That's what I figured out last year seemed to be my issue. This year my spot is actually on my units border. It is 6 miles from nearest road by the crow flies. Its a long pack in and we will be at around 10k feet. It has a nice stand of timber on north facing slopes and looks to be some good feed on south facing. Going to pack in there and see what I can turn up. I always watched the south facing in the past hard, but do you usually see bucks on the edge of timber stands on north facing? I plan on just picking apart that basin for a few days since its large if I see no deer then i will relocate.
If you're planning on 10K the last week of October, it's highly possible you're showing up after the majority of bucks have migrated down. If a snow storm rolls in at that elevation during that time of year, they gone. Nothing worse than going on your out of state hunt and showing up right after the deer moved out. Definitely read Robby's book, and maybe consider going a week or 2 before and focus on timbered areas as they'll be cagey and staging to migrate. Also do some research on the migration route and maybe even consider hunting lower and waiting for them to show up.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG
If you're planning on 10K the last week of October, it's highly possible you're showing up after the majority of bucks have migrated down. If a snow storm rolls in at that elevation during that time of year, they gone. Nothing worse than going on your out of state hunt and showing up right after the deer moved out. Definitely read Robby's book, and maybe consider going a week or 2 before and focus on timbered areas as they'll be cagey and staging to migrate. Also do some research on the migration route and maybe even consider hunting lower and waiting for them to show up.
The basin ill be in is ranging from 9200 down to around 7000. I would love to change the dates, unfortunately I am unable to since my hunting buddy could only get off that week. Do you think the 9000-7000 will be no good then from the 18th-28th? We were hoping that weather wasn't too bad and it doesn't snow them out. If it does I guess we may have to adjust to a new location.

Harvey_NW

WKR
The basin ill be in is ranging from 9200 down to around 7000. I would love to change the dates, unfortunately I am unable to since my hunting buddy could only get off that week. Do you think the 9000-7000 will be no good then from the 18th-28th? We were hoping that weather wasn't too bad and it doesn't snow them out. If it does I guess we may have to adjust to a new location.
Hard to say, but it's a fact that they will migrate down from that elevation, and I would expect if a significant weather event moves in they won't hang for long. The hard part is timing it, and catching them along the way. Some places mule deer just move down in elevation, other places they migrate multiple miles and often into a different unit. But I agree with the above of having a plan B at lower elevation.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't realize you were hunting that high. Generally speaking for idaho in the northern half including the Salmon Regions people tend to hunt the lower country with the issue of only seeing does and young bucks. In most of these areas your ridges max at 8k with many of them being 6500-7000 and I typically glass down off of them in to basins, saddles and benches coming off these ridges dropping down as much as 2000' more in elevation.
And +1 for Robby's book. I learned a lot from it.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Going 6 miles in means you’ll spend at least one day getting in there, one day checking it out and one day hiking out if you don’t find anything. Thats 3 days burned for one spot.

If you don’t already know there are deer in that area, I’d recommend picking out several spots that are closer to a trailhead. That way you can start your hunt by searching a new area each day until you find what you’re looking for. Time is going to be your primary constraint on a 9 day hunt.

Going 6 miles in means you’ll spend at least one day getting in there, one day checking it out and one day hiking out if you don’t find anything. Thats 3 days burned for one spot.

If you don’t already know there are deer in that area, I’d recommend picking out several spots that are closer to a trailhead. That way you can start your hunt by searching a new area each day until you find what you’re looking for. Time is going to be your primary constraint on a 9 day hunt.
This! This is a great suggestion, IMO.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG

We are planning on just hunting our way in. I understand it is a large time commitment, but I have a feeling it holds bigger deer. Along with that, There are other areas to hike to on that ride and glass. That is our plan if the original spot doesn't workout, just hike down the ridge to the next. Is this not a good idea? I don't want to waste tons of time hiking, but also don't want to hunt close to roads and have tons of other people around like I've experienced in the past.

If I were you I'd have a plan A, B, and C, especially coming all the way out from the East. If you get in there and just aren't feeling it or seeing deer, move on. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and burn days.

The unit I hunt in Idaho during that time-range at 9k feet was hot last year. Multiple 60+ degree days out of the 12-14 I was out. Then, first week in November snow fell. Hard to say what it'll be like, weather in the mountains can change quickly.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG
If I were you I'd have a plan A, B, and C, especially coming all the way out from the East. If you get in there and just aren't feeling it or seeing deer, move on. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and burn days.

The unit I hunt in Idaho during that time-range at 9k feet was hot last year. Multiple 60+ degree days out of the 12-14 I was out. Then, first week in November snow fell. Hard to say what it'll be like, weather in the mountains can change quickly.
Did you see deer in that area at 9k even with the heat? That’s the plan have backups to get to if need be. We won’t stay if there arnt deer or sign. Thank you for the info! Agree it changes quick.

Fmuguira

FNG
Since you mention Oct 18 to Oct 28 I would only point out that the difference in weather and precipitation between those extremes could change quite a bit; thus you might have to adjust how and where you hunt “on the fly” … good luck

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
9,000+ feet in Idaho is rocky and very little feed. Different than 9+ in Utah and CO in my opinion. I think 7-8 and in the cover is where most of the bigger bucks spend the hot summer.

OP
P

Pafarm

FNG
9,000+ feet in Idaho is rocky and very little feed. Different than 9+ in Utah and CO in my opinion. I think 7-8 and in the cover is where most of the bigger bucks spend the hot summer.
Agreed, we will be glassing from up there down into 8500-7200 or so. From my limited experience it looks very good but also going to just have to see this fall. The feed seems to be there in butter brush and other foods. I’m going to try and glass south facing slopes.

Did you see deer in that area at 9k even with the heat? That’s the plan have backups to get to if need be. We won’t stay if there arnt deer or sign. Thank you for the info! Agree it changes quick.
I legit saw 3 small bucks over the 12-14 days at that elevation. That was full on 5am-7pm days, not just glassing before breakfast and dinner for an hour or twi lmao. We made the mistake of working over the same area instead of moving to new country. All of us ate tag soup in Nov.