Idaho Mule Deer Management with Toby Boudreau

PRC

FNG
Thanks Great podcast! Only question I would have added was to ask if they are going to limit the deer quotas by zone or units to Residents in the near future?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Great podcast! Only question I would have added was to ask if they are going to limit the deer quotas by zone or units to Residents in the near future?
No talk of that. In fact the conversation goes the other way in preserving the publics wish to hunt yearly,and not just manage for big bucks only.

Thanks for the listen

Reactions: PRC

Wickedwagens

Lil-Rokslider
These podcasts are so interesting and informative. I'm seriously looking at changing career paths. I'm finishing up an Environmental Science degree and had a job lined up with my current employer, but now I'm looking to see if I can use it towards something in wildlife management, habitat management or a similar field. Very interesting guests on the podcast. Love it!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
These podcasts are so interesting and informative. I'm seriously looking at changing career paths. I'm finishing up an Environmental Science degree and had a job lined up with my current employer, but now I'm looking to see if I can use it towards something in wildlife management, habitat management or a similar field. Very interesting guests on the podcast. Love it!
This is so cool!

We need passionate committed hunters to stay in these fields.

Believe it or not, some of them are being filled up with people that actually don’t care that much about hunting. I don’t think it’s on a wide scale, but man I would totally encourage you to look into this career path.

10 or 11 Western states to choose from with a variety of management strategies and probably career paths.

Check it out & let us know.

Reactions: PRC
Great Rokcast! @robby denning , you should try to get Toby back on to discuss the CWD Symposium that he attended. I agree with your comment on the younger bucks being just as rangy as older bucks. I disagree with the scorched earth direction they took last winter.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great Rokcast! @robby denning , you should try to get Toby back on to discuss the CWD Symposium that he attended. I agree with your comment on the younger bucks being just as rangy as older bucks. I disagree with the scorched earth direction they took last winter.
Working on it!

Thanks for listening in.

Agreed, excellent podcast and information overall.

My follow-up for Toby would be to ask how CWD got to unit 14, before it got to the panhandle or southeastern Idaho. Those locations are closer to known CWD affected areas. I think that CWD is not being transmitted just from deer to deer contact, or by bucks ranging around whether they are young or old. It wasn't a deer or other ungulate that brought CWD to unit 14 of Idaho, unless we are to believe that an infected deer travelled from Montana or Wyoming to the far side of Idaho. So how did it get here? Did a hunter carry prions in the dirt on their boots from an affected area? Or did it come via transportation of agricultural products? How else could CWD just skip over the western side of the state?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, excellent podcast and information overall.

My follow-up for Toby would be to ask how CWD got to unit 14, before it got to the panhandle or southeastern Idaho. Those locations are closer to known CWD affected areas. I think that CWD is not being transmitted just from deer to deer contact, or by bucks ranging around whether they are young or old. It wasn't a deer or other ungulate that brought CWD to unit 14 of Idaho, unless we are to believe that an infected deer travelled from Montana or Wyoming to the far side of Idaho. So how did it get here? Did a hunter carry prions in the dirt on their boots from an affected area? Or did it come via transportation of agricultural products? How else could CWD just skip over the western side of the state?
Thanks for chiming in I’ll send him your question (good question Btw)