Idaho Mule Deer Management with Eric Freeman

I've been waiting for this podcast. I realize there's been a substantial decline with the Caribou mule deer herd....... but 25/100 seems like there's still a decent population. Not like it used to be but the strong did survive.

I know of a guy that wrote a book that would still hunt it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning, great podcast. It would be great if all of that information could be conveyed during the spring open houses.
thanks for the listen. not sure the timing on the article release and the commission meetings in March, but most of the cutbacks in opportunity came last year right after the hard winter, dropped antlerless harvest and trimmed controlled hunt tags, right after the hard winter, so I don't think they changed much for this year.

thanks for the listen. not sure the timing on the article release and the commission meetings in March, but most of the cutbacks in opportunity came last year right after the hard winter, dropped antlerless harvest and trimmed controlled hunt tags, right after the hard winter, so I don't think they changed much for this year.
Not much changed at all. I think the point I was trying to make is all of the complaining that you see across various forums and even worse, the FB hunting pages. Folks that are constantly on IFG's butt about poor deer numbers (I complain about some of their decisions as well), that don't understand all of the factors that influence mule deer herd health. Eric is right, we can build deer, but we need favorable weather conditions.
It would be nice if the average hunter could listen to the podcasts that you have put together, it may open their eyes to the fact that just limiting hunter harvest isn't going to grow every herd back to the historical highs.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not much changed at all. I think the point I was trying to make is all of the complaining that you see across various forums and even worse, the FB hunting pages. Folks that are constantly on IFG's butt about poor deer numbers (I complain about some of their decisions as well), that don't understand all of the factors that influence mule deer herd health. Eric is right, we can build deer, but we need favorable weather conditions.
It would be nice if the average hunter could listen to the podcasts that you have put together, it may open their eyes to the fact that just limiting hunter harvest isn't going to grow every herd back to the historical highs.
got it, thanks for the clarify.

that's why I put these out, so people can hear both sides...make better decisions.