Idaho Goat hunt

Had a goat tag a few years ago same general part of the state. Killed mine I believe October 12th and he had a good coat. I really don’t think weather is an issue until late October but every year is different, congrats on the tag.

ndbuck09

WKR
Appreciate the advice! I took a look at their facebook page and didn't find any mountain goat mounts. Looks like they have some nice looking sheep and pronghorn though. I'll reach out to them, see if they have any prior mount pictures they can share. Thanks

Here's the Goat mount Sundance did for me. They've always been awesome to work with and they always produce a fantastic product with attention to detail.

IMG_1197.jpg

Klransom

FNG
I helped a coworker kill and pack out his goat in Idaho in 2020, it was one of the hardest pack outs of my life. Now when I look back on it, it was one of the most fun hunts I've ever been on. He shot his on September 14th, I think the coat could have been better but it still looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_154832893_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200914_154832893_HDR.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 32

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
No experience hunting goats, but I have received my share of unsuccessful emails from IDFG. Without giving up unit specific details (inevitability it will be where I put in and god knows I don't want to have reduced odds), please update on the hunt/experience later this fall!

OP
J
No experience hunting goats, but I have received my share of unsuccessful emails from IDFG. Without giving up unit specific details (inevitability it will be where I put in and god knows I don't want to have reduced odds), please update on the hunt/experience later this fall!
Yea, it's getting weird these days with sharing stuff, I'd love to do a write up but it seems like anything even without unit specifics gets taken down here so we will see

For these once in a life time hunts and with very few permits given. I don’t feel that there’s that big of issue doing a write up on hunt and unit. With money up front and Idaho making you pick a species this weeds out the random guy just putting in for the hell of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, it's getting weird these days with sharing stuff, I'd love to do a write up but it seems like anything even without unit specifics gets taken down here so we will see
Understood and appreciate it. Send me a PM of your experience and some day when I draw a OIL tag I will write you up.

Broomd

WKR
Yea, it's getting weird these days with sharing stuff, I'd love to do a write up but it seems like anything even without unit specifics gets taken down here so we will see.

I haven't forgotten about you, J.J. Your sked makes it tricky to call, but we'll talk soon. I know that unit well and where the goats should be. PM your number if you would. F.

1) It's really hot and dry in central ID right now so be prepared for smoke through the early part of September. The end of September through early October is your best bet. The later you get into October, the greater chance you could be dealing with heavy snow and access issues.

2) Coats - they'll be plenty long and full from mid September on.

3) I think you're overthinking the coat quality/fullness/etc. Any goat from mid-September on will have a pretty solid coat. I would be more concerned on if/where you harvest your goat so it doesn't go for a giant tumble down a rockslide or cliff face and get banged up.

1) Goats will start roaming more later in October as the rut starts kicking off.
2) Yes and no. From my experience, they move a little more frequent than deer and elk in September/October. They still bed down for hours at a time though.